Chapter 65

{Pope}

{Pope}

'I got it. I got the cross.' JJ says, rushing over to the cross while Kie takes Pope's other arm and holds him up. 'We'll come back.' John b and Kie assure Pope in unison as they leave the church. 'I don't know how I'll hide this!' JJ panics and I run over to him and place my hand on his shoulder. 'Leave the cushions on top.' I suggest and he nods his head as we lift the cushions on top of the cross. 'Thanks.' He says softly as a smile spreads across his face. 'Anytime.' I wink at him as Sarah calls for us to hurry.

We run out the door and close it behind us as they place Pope in Kie's truck. 'Pope, what do you need, buddy?' JJ asks. 'Keep his legs elevated.' I tell Kie and John b. 'What do you need?' JJ asks once again. 'He needs a shot!' Kie states as she hops in beside him and places his legs on her lap. 'I know where to go! Give me the keys!' JJ exclaims as I toss him the keys and he hops in the driver seat and I in the passenger seat. JJ quickly starts the car and we speed away from the church as fast as possible. JJ speeds down the road as fast as he can drive. In under a couple of minutes, we arrived at the destination JJ brings us. His cousin's, Ricky's house.

'Ricky!' JJ yells out as we all get out of the car quickly. 'Ricky! Hey!' JJ calls out again, running up to the front door. He starts banging on it as Ricky comes to the door, John b and Kie lift out Pope while Sarah and I bang on the door beside JJ. Rickey flips JJ off and locks the door. 'Hey! Please, help!' I yell out, as we all plead for help. 'We need help!' JJ yells banging on the door aggressively. 'Remember the time you and your girlfriend stole my ambulance?' Ricky yells looking between JJ and I, I let out a sigh. 'I know. I know. I know you're mad.' JJ says. 'He got stung by a wasp! He's having a reaction!' JJ and I yell as loud as we can grabbing Ricky's attention again. 'He can't breathe!' I cry out. 'Who can't breathe?' Rickey questions, opening the door. 'Look at him!' John b yells as Ricky stares at Pope, as he wheezes for air. 'Alright.' Ricky sighs letting us in. 'Hey! Nice to meet you. Sorry.' Sarah says quickly as she bursts through the door towards the kitchen, throwing everything off the table as Kie and John b place Pope down. 'You know, I wouldn't come to you if it wasn't an emergency.' JJ tells Ricky. 'Hang in there, buddy.' I say as Kie holds Pope's right hand and I hold the other.

'What's wrong with him?' Ricky asks. 'Wasps.' JJ and I answer in unison as tears fall from my eyes. 'Is he allergic to wasps?' Ricky asks and I nod. 'Clearly.' Kie states pointing at the state he's in. 'A beehive worth of wasps.' John b says. ''What's his name?' Ricky asks looking at JJ. 'Pope.' JJ answers. 'Hey, Pope? Hang tight. I gotta get my kit.' Ricky says before running out of the room. 'Oh god!' I cry out as I put my head resting on JJ's chest as I cry out, he just wraps his arms around me and rests one hand on my hair, stroking it. 'Go help him!' John b orders JJ to go after Ricky, and JJ looks at me with an unsure expression. 'Go! I'll be fine.' I assure him as I wipe my tears away, he immediately runs into the room, Ricky went in. 'I need you to focus.' Kie tells Pope as she cups his face in her hands. 'I..I can't look at this..' I sob as I turn away from the scene in front of me, my heart broke as I could hear one of my best friends, my brother try catch his breath and I couldn't do anything to help him.

'What does it look like?' JJ calls out as Ricky runs to the living room, scavenging the draws for a duffel bag. 'Where's your kit?' I ask Ricky and he shrugs. 'Out in the garage, maybe.' John b suggests. Pope's begins to wheeze quickly as he's losing his breathing. 'Okay, I got it.' Ricky sighs in relief as he runs back over to the table. I take in a few deep breaths of relief as I try to calm myself. JJ walks back over to me and immediately takes me into his arms and rests his head on mine. 'Ssh, he's going to be okay. He's going to be okay' JJ assures me. 'What do we do now?' Kie asks. 'You don't do anything cause you're not a paramedic.' Ricky says. 'Okay. Hey, Pope. How you doing, man? You look like shit.' Ricky says trying to ease the tension in the room as we all begin to cry. 'Here's the thing. This is a pediatric dose of epinephrine. It is ten times a normal dose. So if..if it doesn't stop his heart, it'll help him.' Ricky states and we all gasps and I sob even more. 'But I gotta use the whole thing, or it won't work. And I'm not going down if he dies.' Ricky says looking at JJ. 'Okay! Fine! Do it! Hit it!' JJ panics assuring Ricky he won't go down. 'Just hurry up!' I sob as Ricky nods. He injects the injection into his arm, releasing the serum.

'I hate needles.' JJ groans as he lets out a sigh, pulling me even closer to him. After a minute he takes the needle out and throws it to the side. 'Okay, Um, that's it.' Ricky sighs. 'Now what?' Sarah questions. 'Now we wait.' Ricky answers. We all wait there in silence as we stare at Pope, he continues not to move and we all go into panic. 'No, no, no, no, NO!' I scream as tears stream down my face as JJ tries to calm me down by swaying me a little bit. 'You killed him!' Kie pants in panic. 'No, I didn't do shit.' Ricky says. 'What did you do?' Kie yells as she cries out. 'I did exactly what you asked me to do.' Ricky argues to her and she sobs as she tries to get Pope to wake up. 'Please! Please! Please, Pope, come on!' She begs him. She starts shaking Pope trying to get him to wake up. After a moment, Pope starts coughing and we all gasp in relief, as tears fall down our faces. Ricky chuckles in relief as Pope sits up. 'There he is. That's my boy right there!' JJ exclaims pointing at Pope as Kie and I hug him. 'It's hot! I'm really hot, guys!' Pope speaks up as Kie and I pull away from him and I sigh in relief. 'It's okay. Take it easy.' I assure him tapping him on the shoulder.

'I gotta get outside!' Pope says as he takes off his jacket and walks outside. 'Simmer down.' John b tells him. Sarah, John b and Kie run outside after him. 'Thank you so much!' I say excitedly pulling Ricky in for a hug. 'I owe you.' I say to him and he chuckles. 'Just keep good care of my cuz.' He says happily tapping JJ on the shoulder and I nod. JJ and I go outside and see Pope running up and down the yard, jumping in the air with excitement. 'Game six! I'm Michael Jordan!' Pope exclaims as he continues to jump around the garden and we all burst out laughing. 'Yeah, game six!' I cheer raising my hands in the air.

To Be Continued...