Chapter 56

{Mee-Maw}

{Mee-Maw}

I sit in the back of the van, eating a bag of chips and a fruit box trying my best to ignore the awkward tension between John B and Sarah. Kie and Pope sit in front of me talking while JJ rolls his blunt in the passenger seat.

'Guys the thing that Limbrey said, I don't think she meant to let it slip. She said the key leads to the Cross of Santo Domingo.' Pope informs us, fiddling with the key in his hand. 'Wait. Can I see that?' JJ asks reaching his hand back, Pope hands him the key as I eat the chocolate bar Kie bought me. 'Jeez, Jackie. You're really hungry.' Kie says eyeing all the food beside me and I let out a chuckle. 'Well, I am feeding for two now.' I state with a smirk before biting another square off the bar.

'Are we supposed to know what that is?' Sarah asks bring the attention back onto the key. 'I'm guessing it's some sort of historical artifact of great importance.' Pope answers. 'Well, according to the interwebs, it was a gift from New Spain to the Spanish King.' Kie states, reading it off her phone. 'New Spain? Is there an Old Spain?' JJ asks as my brother looks at him, handing the key back to Pope. 'Shit, talk about over gifting. Look at that thing.' Kiara says, showing us all the picture. 'So, it's a giant ass cross.' JJ says. 'It was widely considered at the time to be the most extravagant tribute ever from the provinces. It was lost off the coast of Bermuda in 1829.' Kie explains to us. 'Did you just say Bermuda?' JJ asks perking up on the chair. 'Oh, no. Not the triangle.' John b sighs, shaking his head knowing JJ would go on about this forever. 'It always lead back to the triangle, dude.' JJ says tapping John b's shoulders and I nod in agreement. 'Like every single time something's weird, it's Bermuda.' JJ rants on as a smile plasters across my face at his amusement and my brother shakes his head.

'What does a key found above your mee-maw's pharmacy have to do with any of this?' Kie questions looking at Pope grabbing my attention. 'Yeah.' Sarah mutters. 'Where do we come in?' Kie asks furrowing her eyebrows in confusion and we all glance at each other. 'I don't know. That's a good question.' Pope replies as we pull to a stop at his Great grandmother's house. JJ hops out of the van and opens the slide door, Kie, Pope and I hop out seconds later and I stand beside JJ as he wraps his arm around my shoulder. 'Hey, actually, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself.' Pope states directing his statement at Kie. 'Are you sure?' She questions and I look between them two as I furrow my eyebrows with concern. 'Yeah, I can handle it. I don't really need you, so..' he shrugs as my eyes widen in shock at his words. Pope never talked to anyone like this especially Kie. 'Oh, we're just all one big happy family today, aren't we?' JJ jokes trying to clear the tensions before hopping back into the passenger seat of the van. Pope rolls his eyes and walks into the retirement home. 'Hey, man. Pick you up in a bit.' John b calls out as we all hop back into the car and drive away from Pope.

***

John b pulls the van to the side of the road at a shop, so Kie and Sarah could go in and buy us some food, clothes and drinks. JJ and John b sit in the front in complete silence while I sit in the back, looking at the ultrasound pictures again. I couldn't get enough of it, I'm going to be a mom. Even though life has been pretty tough lately, this baby is a blessing for us all especially JJ and I. In eight months time, I'm going to be bringing a new addition to our family into the world and I am beyond terrified but more excited.

'Remember when life was simple?' JJ lets out a sigh and my brother nods. 'Yeah, like seven days ago.' John b scoffs. 'I mean, dude, think about it. Ward's still out there, and he's got the gold.' John b states and I sigh. 'I know. I know.' JJ sighs in frustration. 'He killed our dad.' John B argues looking at me and I shift in my seat at the thought of our dad. 'John b, I know, and we won't let that go' JJ states. 'But I'm worried about you, man. It sounds like it's either you or him. And you know who else I'm worried about?' He says taking a pause looking at me. 'Jackie and Sarah.' He states and I take a deep breath. 'Hey, don't worry about me. I'm fine.' I assure them as I poke my head through the middle front seats. 'But, yeah. I am worried about Sarah too.' I let out a sigh as Sarah and Kie exit the shop.

'I mean, Bro, it's her dad. You see what I'm saying?' JJ states looking at my brother but John b never takes his eyes off Sarah. 'She knows what he did.' John b sighs. 'Alright, so what the deal with this Limbrey chick?' My brother asks changing the topic. 'Pope said she has evidence on tape that could put Ward away, right?' John b asks and I nod in confirmation. 'On the other hand though, she did try to kidnap Pope.' JJ states. 'But think about it, all right? If we can get that evidence, it's done.' John b exclaims. 'We could put Ward away for good and finally get justice for our dad.' John b says looking between JJ and I. 'This can all be over in one shot, J. Then you and Jackie can use your share out of the gold to buy a nice house for yourself, and raise your baby there.' He states and I let out a sigh. 'That sounds really good. All I want is to make sure that this little one is safe.' I say softly placing my hand on my stomach and JJ looks at me with a faint smile. 'Good thing your baby daddy's JJ Maybank.' JJ says with a smirk and I snicker at his comment. 'Cause I got a plan.' He states and my brother lets out a sigh.

'Hopefully it's better then springing me out of jail.' John b says annoyedly and I chuckle. 'I'm going to go check on the girls.' I say hopping out of the van, leaving the boys to discuss JJ's miraculous new plan. 'Of course I thanked Topper.' Sarah says looking at Kie as I walk over to them. 'He saved my life, and I'd put him through so much already. And you'd think that is the crime of the century.' Sarah sighs in frustration as we slowly walk back to the car. 'Tell me about it. All of this crazy shit's happening, and Pope's giving me the silent treatment for not being in love with him.' Kie chuckles nervously and I let out a sigh. 'The only good thing going on is your pregnancy, Jackie.' Kie says and a smile appears on my face. 'It is pretty amazing.' I say rubbing my stomach. 'How was the doctors appointment?' Sarah asks. 'Everything is good with me and the baby. The little one is the size of a poppy seed, right now and I'm six weeks long.' I answer and they both smile at me. 'I can't believe you're going to be a mom, it's so surreal.' Kie says happily. 'We're going to be the best aunties ever.' Sarah and Kie exclaim in unison and I burst out laughing as we hop back into the van.

'There he is.' JJ speaks up as we pull back outside the retirement home, Pope comes outside. I slide the door open and we all look at Pope as he gets in and sits beside me, and shuts the door. 'So, how'd it go?' I ask breaking the silence and he lets out a sigh. 'Shit just got way more personal.' Pope mutters and we all look at each other furrowing our eyebrows in confusion.

To be Continued...