Chapter 45

{Guns & Making Love}

'This is the north drain. It should've gotten washed into the gully. So, if it got flushed out from this drain, it would've been pushed out to, like—.' JJ states pointing out at the water that was surrounded by trash. 'Somewhere in this trash.' Pope shrugs. 'Correct.' JJ says. 'Hey.' I say as I approach the three of them. 'Why are you late?' Pope asks. 'Sorry, uh, I was with Topper.' I say sheepishly and I could feel the tension between JJ as I glance at him, his jaw tensing.

'Oh my god. People who use plastic should be shot.' Kie shrugs looking at the the trash in the water. 'Okay, personally, I love plastic. Use it everyday. Love the stuff.' JJ comments and I let out a light chuckle. 'Hopefully, you recycle it and don't let it flush into the ocean.' Kie responds. 'I thought you'd say something like that, so..trash bags.' Pope says pulling some from out of his pocket. 'Did you just proactively protect the environment?' Kie asks him as she tries to hide her smile. 'Maybe.' Pope replies sheepishly and I smile at them. 'Match made in heaven.' I say, pretending to get all emotional and everyone chuckles as JJ glances at me. Yeah, should we leave you two alone or what's going on?' JJ asks and I burst out laughing beside him. 'Just pick up the trash.' Pope orders, throwing the trash bags at JJ as Kie and I share a smile.

After a while we eventually picked all the trash up, but there was still no sign of the gun. 'Well, that was fun.' JJ says sarcastically wiping away a bit of sweat from his forehead as he tosses the last bag of trash on the ground. 'If it's not in the trash, then it's gotta be in the storm drain.' Pope states. 'It's in..it's in the drain.' JJ and I mutter in unison before glancing at each other and a faint smile appears on our faces. 'Damn it.' Kie sighs. 'Of course it is.' I shrug. 'Good thing I brought the crow.' JJ says pulling it from his bag as we stare at the exit of the drain wondering which one of us is going in. 'So, are we gonna do, like, rock, paper, scissors?' Kie asks. 'No.' Pope and JJ reply in unison.

'Or alphabetically?' She suggestsband we all shake our heads before the boys unhinge the metal bars from the exit. 'Or, like, the oldest goes?' She asks and JJ shakes his head. 'No. In the sewer, there's this worm that you get when you're down there. It gets into your blood, and then it has to come out your pecker, so pass for me.' JJ states as I hold back from laughing. 'That's gonna be a no for me too.' Pope sighs shaking his head. 'No, I get it. I get it. You guys are scared.' She says looking at them then to me and I nod in agreement. 'I'm not scared.' JJ states and I chuckle. 'You guys are scared. It's kind of cute.' I smirk at JJ and he rolls his eyes.

'It's the pecker thing.' JJ defends and I chuckle walking over beside him. 'Hmm, sure.' I whisper to him and a faint smile appears on his face as he looks down at me. 'Well, who's going to go in then.' Kie shrugs looking at me and gives me a pleading look. 'Ugh, fine. I'll do it.' I groan and she claps her hands in victory. 'Are you sure, Jackie?' JJ asks as he grabs my hand, blocking my way. 'I got this.' I assure, giving him the thumbs up as he lets go of my hand. 'Be careful.' He whispers in my ear as I walk past him and I just nod as I stand at the drains exit. 'Just, uh, holler if you need anything, okay? We'll, uh..we'll holler back.' JJ says as I crawl through the drain, a light chuckle escapes my lips at his comment. 'Very helpful. Thank you.' I reply as I chuckle again.