Chapter 47

{Road Trip}

{Road Trip}

As we all scramble into the van, JJ starts the engine and drives out of the school parking lot towards Figure 8. 'Do you want me to come in with you?' I ask glancing at Kie and she shakes her head. 'No. I'll be only a few minutes.' She says before getting out of the car and makes her way into her house.

'I can't believe we're actually going to Charleston.' I say leaning back in the passenger seat and JJ glances at me with a smile plastered across his face. 'What?' I ask him as I notice him staring. 'You're beautiful.' He tells me and my cheeks begin to burn red as Pope fakes gag in the back seat. 'Disgusting.' He groans as JJ and I burst out laughing. 'Don't be jealous, Pope.' JJ says sarcastically before placing a kiss on my cheek. 'Stop it!' A familiar voice yells grabbing our attention, my eyes furrowing in confusion as I see Kie standing on the porch as her parents yell at her. 'Should we go help her?' Pope asks and I shake my head. 'She'll be okay.' I say. 'How'd you get this rig? I know your old man didn't let you have it.' JJ states looking at Pope. 'I undid the intake valves on the carburettor. Made it start pinging.' Pope answers. 'And now you're just gonna to a sit to your cousin's Jeff's house. Just gonna get it fixed.' JJ shrugs. 'Crash overnight.' JJ and Pope say in unison and a chuckle escapes my mouth. 'I think I'm rubbing off on you, Pope.' JJ states. 'Lying to your old man, stealing his truck. Kinda sounds familiar.' JJ comments and I let out a sigh as Pope glances at JJ.

'All right, that's a sore subject. My bad.' JJ says. 'I'd say we have about 18 hours before he absolutely loses his shit.' Pope states. 'So as long as we get it back before then, I think we're good.' Pope adds and JJ nods in agreement. No one speaks after since all the attention is pulled towards the Carrera's argument. Kie angrily makes her way towards the truck. JJ, Pope and I pop our heads out the window to get a better view of Kie's parents raging. 'It's good to see y'all, Mr and Mrs. Carrera.' JJ greets them with a small wave. 'Hi, uh, ma'am, sir. I..I promise to have her back at a reasonable hour and safe.' Pope stammers as we wave at her parents.

'What are you doing?' Kie asks him. 'Kiara, listen to me. You wanna go, then you can go. But if you don't come back at the proper time,  then don't come back at all!' Anna, Kie's mom warns her and Kies eyes widen in shock. 'She's bluffing.' JJ whispers and I glare at him. 'Y'all have a good day.' JJ waves goodbye to them as Kie hops in the car and Pope reverses the car down the road. 'This shit would be so much easier without parents.' Kie mutters and a frown appears on my face as I think of my father. 'Don't say that, Kie.' I say crossing my arms as I look out the window. 'I'm sorry, I didn't think.' She apologises. 'It's just my parents are so worried about me being a Pogue they're going to send me to boarding school.' She states and all our eyes widen in shock.

The rest of the drive was quiet until we got to the dock and board the ferry. We all sit on the exterior of the truck as JJ rolls his blunt. 'Hey, I hear they got good weed at boarding school, though.' JJ speaks up breaking the silence and Kie rolls her eyes. 'I'm not going.' Kie states. 'They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up, and throw me in a van.' She says over dramatically. 'Hey, kie, have you tried to hit John b back in that number yet?' Pope asks her changing the topic. 'Like, twenty million times.' She replies. 'That's quite a few times.' JJ chuckles. 'Some random lady at a hotel keeps answering.' Kie informs us and I let out a sigh. 'Well, until we hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name.' I state and they all nod in agreement. 'Right now, this letter's our best bet.' Pope says raising the envelope. 'Right. Stay on task.' JJ nods. 'That's why I love ya, Pope.' JJ adds and Kie clears her throat as she takes JJs blunt and walks over to Pope. 'What Pope are you gonna be today?' Kie asks him and I let out a sigh. 'Kie!' I say sternly. 'I'm good. I'm gonna try to focus.' He answers and a faint smile appears on my face. 'Good pope.' She rolls her eyes and I glare at her. 'Stop it, Kie!' I argue to her and she raises her hands in defence. 'What? That's boring Pope.' She defends sitting down beside JJ taking a hit from the blunt and I scoff. 'Just because you're going through shit with your family, doesn't mean you can take it out on us.' I say and she rolls her eyes puffing out the smoke.

'I'll take that.' JJ chuckles taking the blunt as I glare at him too. As kie and JJ bicker on about the blunt, Pope turns around and lets out a sigh of frustration. I hop off the truck and lean my body against the door beside him. 'Penny for your thought?' I ask him as I took out a penny from my shorts and he lets out a light chuckle. 'How did we go a whole month without you?' He questions and I shrug. 'Have no clue. I'm surprised y'all still intact.' I say sarcastically and he chuckles. 'It's good to have you back though, Jackie. We all missed you especially JJ.' He says as we glance back at him. 'He went through a rough time after your break up. Could barely get him out of the Chateau. Heck, he didn't even want to surf or drink.' Pope states and I sigh. 'Yeah, well, I'm back now and I plan on never leaving his side again.' I chuckle and Pope smiles. 'Good.' He says.

***

'Guys, I've read this thing like a thousand times. It makes no sense. I mean, the Limbreys own, like, half of Charleston. What do the Kook kings of Charleston know about a murder in Kildare Island?' Kie questions. 'Why you specifically? That's the other creepy thing.' JJ states glancing at Pope. 'Please come alone. That's hella sus.' Kie states and I nod in agreement. 'I was thinking the same thing. I think it's because..' Pope goes to speak but the hissing of the engine cuts him off as the car pulls to a stop. 'Oh, come on.' Pope sighs. 'Pull over. That's a lot of snake, even for your dad's truck.' I say as pope pulls the car to the side of the road.

'Pope, I got sensitive lungs, man!' JJ says as he begins coughing from the smoke. 'Shit!' Kie curses. 'No. No. No.' Pope repeats as he hops out of the truck along with JJ and I. 'It's gonna blow up.' Kie panics. 'No, it's not gonna blow up.' I state and she sighs in relief. 'You probably unhooked the radiator, pope.' JJ suggests as he hops the bonnet of the truck while JJ begins to clap. 'You might wanna reschedule your meeting tonight, Pope.' JJ says sarcastically. 'Not the time, babe.' I say sternly and he laughs. 'Plan b? We could, um..public transportation.' Kie suggest and I nod. 'We could hitchhike. We could rent bikes.' She adds. 'Yeh, it's the radiator.' JJ confirms as he examines the engine. 'My dad's gonna kill me.' Pope freaks out. 'Yeah, he might. He might.' JJ says glancing at Pope.

After managing the truck to the nearest gas station, help was provided as the man offered to fix the truck for us. Pope and I were talking to the man while JJ and Kie sat down on the beach waiting for us. 'I just can't believe my mom is so worried about me becoming a Pogue that she's going to send me to boarding school.' Kie says with a frown. 'Well, I guess that's what you get for hanging out with the wrong crowd, kie.' JJ says. 'It's too late anyway.' Kie shrugs. 'I already am who I am, whether they like it or not. 'She states and he lets out a sigh. 'Ain't all that bad.' JJ shrugs. 'Just look over at them there.' JJ says pointing at pope and Jackie. 'He would do anything for us. That's a Pogue if I've even seen one. And Jackie..' JJ takes a deepbreath as a smile appears on his face. 'She is one of a kind. She would always give a helping hand, she's a true leader and fights for what she believes in, that's also a Pogue.' JJ states and a faint smile appears on her face.

After a few minutes, the man finally fixed the truck and I willingly paid for it since we're running low on the money. We were finally back on the road and drove some more. Eventually, we pulled over to the side road and laid out multiple blankets in the back of the truck. I laid on the far back of the truck under two blankets beside JJ. I had the warmth of JJ's jumper wrapped around my body during the chilly night. JJ and I found ourselves staring at each other in admiration, no words were said. After a few minutes of silence I decided it was best to break the silence. 'What are you staring at?' I ask him and he smiles. 'My girl.' He replies as he interlocks his hand with mine. I shift a little bit closer to him and place my hand on his cheek as I place the lonely string of his hair behind his ear. My heart skipped a beat as his ocean blue eyes looked into my hazel ones with nothing but pure love. 'I love you.' I whisper as I press my lips against his nose. 'I love you too.' He replies kissing my forehead. 'Goodnight, JJ.' I mutter closing my eyes. 'I love you so much more, baby.' He replies placing a kiss on my lips before closing his eyes and falling asleep.

To Be Continued...