Chapter 6

{The Compass}

{The Compass}

After John B came back onto the boat with the black duffle bag, we decided to drive back to the Chateau and open it there. Hopping off the boat, we all crowd around John B on our dock. 'What do you guys think it is?' Kie asks leaning against the beam as I kneel beside my brother. 'Gotta be money, right?' John b suggests unzipping the bag and I shrug. 'That or a couple of keys with street value to the low to mid mills!' JJ guesses as John B and him laugh. 'Can we please just open the bag?' Pope asks loudly and we all look at him.

'Wow, Pope. That's a rare outburst of emotion.' John B replies and I nod in agreement. 'Okay, you guys are killing me with anticipation.' He explains. 'Open the bag now.' Pope urges and John B puts his hands up in defence. 'Alright, alright!' John B says before he starts to unzip the bag. He pulls out a smaller black bag, which reveals a metal container. John B struggles to unscrew the lid but after a moment he unscrews it, he pours its contents into his hand.

It felt like my whole world just stopped and my jaw dropped wide open in shock as I could feel my tears fighting to reach the surface. I look at my brother and he holds the same expression as me as our friends groan with disappointment when we all look at the antique compass on my brother's hand.

This was my father's compass, he always had it with him wherever he was and always told us stories about the history of the compass. Tears start to fall from my eyes and the group notices our change of mood. 'What? It's not worth anything.' JJ asks looking at me and I shake my head. 'T-This was our father's.' John B informs the group as I gently take the compass from him and memories start resurfacing in my mind of all the fun and memorable times we had with our father. He always said that he'd give me the compass on my 18th birthday, but now he never will and for some reason, the compass found its way back to John B and me.

For nine months, everybody's tried to get John B to believe our dad's dead. I even began to lose hope. They say we were in denial. Whatever. Denial's underrated. You should try it sometime. It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong. I believe my father is still alive somewhere out there, it doesn't make sense for him to go missing at sea, he knew the sea better than anyone. Deep down, I feel like our father is still alive and we just need to find him. This compass coming back to us, my father's compass, which was passed down from generations, it's a sign. He's alive...

***

The next morning, John B and I woke up earlier than usual and decided to bring back the scuba gear to Cameron's boat. 'Why couldn't you go without me?' I groan leaning back on the boat, putting my glasses over my eyes as the sun was too bright this morning. 'You came with me last time to get them, you can help me put them back.' He answers and I scoff. 'Why couldn't you get JJ? He's sleeping perfectly back at the Chateau.' I argue and he rolls his eyes. 'JJ was up half the night fixing the roof of the chateau with me while you slept like a baby. He needs extra sleep or he'll be cranky all day.' John B replies and I let out a sigh. 'Let's just make this quick.' I say getting up and tying the rope around the boat as we pull up to Cameron's boat.