Chapter 22

{Moving Day}

{Moving Day}

There are only three kinds of relationships in the animal kingdom. The first is commensalism. One example..fish finding hiding spots in coral reefs. Fish profit, but life for the coral doesn't change. Then, there's mutualism...a relationship where both animals benefit from each other. Which brings me to relationship number three. The parasitic.

'Welcome home, kids.' Ward says as he pulls the car to a stop outside the Cameron's Residence. My eyes widen at how huge and gorgeous their house was, it was honestly breathtaking. 'This is your room.' Sarah says leading John b into one of the rooms upstairs. 'Whoa.' He says looking around the room and I nod in agreement. 'It's not too shabby, huh?' Sarah teases. 'Yeah. Not too shabby at all.' John b replies throwing his bag on the bed. 'Where's my room?' I ask Sarah as she points down the hall. 'The one at the end of the hall.' She replies and I nod leaving the two of them alone.

I open up my bags and decide to put all my clothes and stuff away properly. I lay out on the bed, looking up to the ceiling until I hear a knock. 'Come in.' I reply and Sarah enters the room. 'Hi..' she says nervously and I smile. 'I just wanted to check on you and see how are things?' She asks walking over to the end of the bed as I sit up. 'Good, good.' I reply with a smile.

'This is awkward, isn't it?' She nervously chuckles. 'Yeah.' I nod in agreement. 'Look I know we barely know each other, but I really like your brother so I was hoping you'd give me a chance, we could be friends if you like?' She says with a smile and I shrug. 'Maybe. I'd like to be your friend but..' I say and she sighs. 'Kie.' She replies and I nod. 'She's my best friend and I don't want to lose her.' I say and Sarah frowns. 'I get it.' She says about to leave the room. 'But, I guess we could be friends for my brother's sake.' I say and she turns around and smiles at me. 'I'd like that.' She says excitedly before leaving the room.

***

After an hour, John b and I decide to regroup with the others at The Wreck and talk about the mission. 'I'm sorry. You're staying where?' Kie asks as she brings over a plate of chips for me. 'Tannyhill.' John b replies. 'So you're living with Sarah Cameron.' She asks my brother with a serious look.

'Okay, look, the only reason we're living there is because her dad bailed me us out, right? And it's way better than foster care, which by the way, is where we were about to go if Ward didn't—' my brother explains as he walks closer to table Kie, Pope, JJ and I sit at. 'Hey, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?' Pope asks looking at my brother and I. 'I don't know, Pope.' I shrug sitting on JJs lap and resting my head on his chest as he wraps his hand around my waist.

'What about those golf carts they drive around? You get one of them?' JJ asks and I chuckle. 'Does it come with a sweater vest, or do you have to buy one of your own?' Pope continues to asks as as JJ takes a sip from my soda earning a glare from me. 'Look, you promised. You said you weren't with her.' Kie argues and I roll my eyes. 'Bro, just own it. She got you.' JJ says and my brother rolls his eyes. 'Look, if you wanna hang out with her, that's fine. But I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah.' She states and I scoff.

'Kie, don't you think you're being a bit unfair to John b and selfish.' I speak up and all the boys look at me with their eyes widen. 'What? Jackie, I'm your best friend!' She argues. 'And John b is my twin.' I shrug. 'Please stop, I don't want you two fighting over this.' John b argues as Kie and I both sigh looking at each other. 'Sorry.' I mutter and she nods. 'It's okay.' She replies. 'We've got the map, right?' John b asks. 'It's out of whack because the guy was gangja'd when he drew it.' JJ replies. 'It's cause the coast has changed.' Kie states.

'So we just have to look for landmarks that haven't changed.' Pope states. 'What about the old forts?' John b suggests and I nod. 'Battery Jasper.' Kie adds pointing at the map and we all quickly get up and run out of the wreck to the van.

***

Standing on one of the large rocks I look around at the view in front of me. 'We're in battery, right here. So if this is parcel nine, then it's somewhere northeast of here.' Pope says pointing down at the map. 'Somewhere over there.' Kie points in that direction. 'Right.' Pope confirms. 'Over there? Guys, that's not Tannyhill, that's a subdivision.' JJ states placing his arm around my waist. 'Tannyhill Plantation was the entire island.' My brother declares. 'It got sold into smaller pieces over time.' He explains. 'So we're just looking for an old stone wall.' Pope shrugs. 'You all coming?' My brother asks and we all nod, JJ helping down off the rock and we all pile into the van again.

To Be Continued...