Chapter 14

{Deny, deny, deny}

{Deny, deny, deny}

After 15 minutes of nothing but running, I finally arrive at JJ's house. I was trying to catch my breath as I looked around to see if JJ's dad's truck was there but thankfully it wasn't. I assume he was probably gone somewhere. Thankfully, I notice JJ's bike still in the yard and a smile appears on my face as I run to the door. I walk onto the porch and pull open the screen door before knocking on the main door. 'JJ? JJ? Are you here?' I say still trying to catch my breath.

I glanced behind me to see if there were any cop cars but the street was empty. When I turned around the door opened revealing JJ. 'Jackie?' he yawns stretching his arms up in the air. He must have been asleep. 'What are you doing here?' He asks worriedly and I sigh. I usually never come over to his because of his dad.

'Running from the police and DCS.' I answer and his eyes widen. 'What?' He asks. 'Can I please come in? They're looking all over for Johnny and I.' I say and he nods moving out of the way to let me in. 'The house is a mess..' he sighs picking up empty beer bottles from the coffee table. 'It's fine.' I mumble after throwing the beer bottles in the bin, he comes back and sits down on the couch pulling me onto his lap and wrapping his hand around my waist as I rest my head on his chest.

'Care to tell me what happened?' He asks and I sigh before explaining how they showed up to take us but John B and I escaped. 'Then, John B told me to come here and he'd meet me later.' I say as I make circles around JJ's hand with my finger. 'I'm so exhausted, I've barely slept at all lately.' I yawn as I nuzzle my head into JJ's neck. 'Come on, let's go to my room and rest for a while.' He says as we get up and he grabs my hand leading me to his bedroom.

We lay out on his bed for a while, just cuddling up together until he dozes back off to sleep. I decided to grab one of his books and read for a while. After an hour of reading, JJ finally wakes up and checks the time before stretching out on the bed and wraps his arm around my stomach pulling me closer. 'Babe?' He mumbles. 'Hmm?' I say as he sits up on the bed. 'Wanna learn how to shoot?' He asks me and I look at him shocked.

'You want to teach me to shoot?' I ask and he nods. 'Why?' I question and he sighs. 'After what happened at the country club with Pope and you, I realised that I won't always be there to protect you so just in case, I want to teach you.' He explains and I sigh. 'Okay.' I shrug and a smile appears on his face. 'That's my girl.' He says leaning in to kiss me before grabbing my hand and pulling me outside.

Once we went out to his yard, he had a teddy bear seated on a broken-down tree trump. He handed me some giant earmuffs. I put them on and he hands me the gun, I hesitate for a minute because I never really held a gun before but I grab it off him and he starts explaining what I should do and I smile at him. 'What?' He asks. 'Nothing, it's just that you're so cute exposing all this to me. You're like a kid on Christmas morning.' I tease playfully shoving him and he chuckles.

'No, I'm not. I'm just happy to know that my girlfriend will be able to protect herself.' He smiles. 'Hm, sure.' I mock and he rolls his eyes. 'Can we go back to the task at hand?' He asks and I nod. JJ stands behind me. He places his hands on mine and raises my hands to aim at the target. I squeeze the trigger and my eyes widen at the loud noise. I flinch back into JJ as I notice I hit the teddy. 'You did it!' He says excitedly and I smile. 'Not bad for my first time, huh?' I ask turning around to face. 'See? It's not that bad.' He says and I scoff taking off the earmuffs and placing them down on the chair.

JJ leans down and places his hand under my chin and we're about to kiss until we hear a familiar voice. 'JJ? Jackie?' Pope pants as he runs towards us. 'Pope? Are you okay?' I ask furrowing my eyebrows in confusion and he catches his breath before speaking. 'They know!' He pants and JJ glances at me before he looks at Pope. 'What?' JJ asks. 'They know.' Pope says starting to panic, my eyes widen in realisation, Rafe and Topper must have found out about the boat. 'All right, chill, bro. All right? They don't know shit.' JJ states. 'Topper knows I sunk his boat.' Pope panics.

'How do you know they know?' I ask as JJ puts a new clip into the gun. 'Because Rafe and Topper posted outside Heyward's and mad dogged me.' Pope shouts pacing around the yard. 'Will you calm down and get a grip, man? They don't know shit.' JJ tries to assure him as he walks over to me and wraps his hand around my shoulder. 'They have cameras. They could've seen me.' Pope informs us. 'There was no power. How could they see you?' JJ shrugs and Pope rubs his temples in frustration and groans. 'Pope..' I go to speak but he cuts me off. 'It's figure eight. They got generators.' He shouts at us.

'They don't give scholarships to kids who vengefully sink boats.' Pope points out and I sigh. I walk up to Pope and place my hands on his face to stop him from freaking out. 'It's okay, it's okay, Pope. You will get your scholarship and get the hell out of the place, I promise.' I assure him and he sighs. 'Ya not a good look on my transcript.' He ignores me pushing me to the side. 'Enough with the regret, bro!' JJ shouts as he stands up.

'They caved your face in and nearly killed Jackie. They hit us, we hit them. It's the law of the jungle. Now if any Kooks come up to you and if you had anything to do with it, you walk up to them and look them right in the eyes, and?' JJ says walking closer to Pope. 'Deny the living shit out of it.' He replies and a smirk appears on JJ's face. 'That's right. Deny, deny, deny. But just for safety, we don't go anywhere without protection.' JJ says and Pope and I nod in agreement before my phone starts buzzing.

'It's Kie.' I say reading over the text she sent me. 'She wants us to come to the movie the town is having at the park.' I inform, the boys and they both nod. JJ quickly tucks his gun into his backpack before he interlocks his hand with mine and we walk to the chateau with Pope to get the van and drive to collect Kie.

To be Continued...