Chapter 17

{Midsummers Part 1}

{Midsummers Part 1}

'This is disgusting.' Kie sighs looking at her reflection in the mirror, I let out a snort as her mom rolls her eyes. 'I know. It's just horrible.' Her mother mocks as Kie looks at me, rolling her eyes. 'So, are you going to get dressed, sweetie?' Kie's mother asks me. 'Uh, I don't have any dresses.' I say sheepishly playing with my father's watch. 'Good thing I bought a few spare dresses for Kie, you can borrow one. They're hung in the bathroom.' She states and I nod before going into the bathroom. There are two beautiful dresses, that I thought I'd never wear in my life but luckily, I will just for tonight.

I grab the silver, long sparkle one with slits going down the side and take off my shorts and bikini bra to put it on. I sigh staring at my reflection in the mirror. I've never worn a dress like this in my entire life. I guess, it's because I grew up surrounded by boys, I spent my entire life sharing their clothes and besides I could never afford it. It clung to my curves perfectly and made my eyes pop. I let down my hair from its messy bun and for once I couldn't even recognise myself. I felt like a princess.

As I keep staring at my reflection, I hear a knock on the door. 'Come in.' I call out and Kie enters moments later, her jaw drops open. 'Do I look ok?' I ask sheepishly and a smile appears on her face. 'If JJ saw you now, I don't think you'd be leaving this room.' Kie teases and I roll my eyes.

JJ. I haven't seen him since yesterday after he got arrested, I prayed and prayed that he'd be okay and that I'll see him soon. I just hope he doesn't have to suffer any consequences from his father's wrath. 'I miss him.' I sigh. 'You'll see each other soon, but for now, let's just enjoy a girl's night out together.' She says before pulling me in for a hug. 'Yeah, it's girls night.' I whisper and she chuckles. 'I can't believe I'm going to Midsummer. Can you believe it? A Pogue going to a Kook party, all eyes will be on me.' I tease and Kie bursts out laughing. 'You're not wrong though, all eyes will be on you. It's not every day you see a Pogue at a Kook party.' She says and I take a deep breath. 'Let's just get this night over with already.' I shrug linking hands with her as we leave her house.

'Excuse me, sir. Do we have to shuck these ourselves?' Kie asks Pope in a posh accent as we make our way over to where he is through the crowd of people dancing and talking. 'Cause it might mess up my costume.' She continues, I couldn't help but smile a little as Pope turns around and a smile appears on his face as he looks at Kie. '

'We wouldn't want that now, would we?' Pope puts on a fake posh accent as well, we all burst out laughing. 'You look beautiful, Kie.' Pope blushes and a smirk appears across my face. 'Thank you.' She replies before holding her hand out to do our group handshake with him. I mentally face-slap myself at how clueless she is. After their handshake, Pope looks at me with a smile. 'You look, er nice too.' Pope says nervously and I chuckle.

'You ever seen this many Kooks in one place?' I ask them as the three of us glance around the crowd. 'Yeah. Last year.' Pope replies before looking at the grill. 'I feel like I'm in the lion's den, any second now I'll be attacked.' I say. 'Exactly.' Pope says beside me. 'Hey, have you heard from JJ?' Pope asks looking at me and I take a deep breath. 'Nope.' I sigh shaking my head. 'He'll be all right. He's got the survival instincts of a cockroach.' Kie smiles at me.

The crowd of people all turn their attention to the double doors and start applauding as the Cameron family walk in. I scoff before grabbing a drink of champagne and gulping it down straight. After an hour, Kie was dragged away from us to talk to a few people so I decided to stay with Pope, we joked, I helped him hand out food and we also slipped in time for a dance. The sun had set around twenty minutes ago.

To be honest, I didn't see the point of this stupid party. They're all just here bragging about their families and wealth while the people on the other side of the island can't even have a hot shower or have any signal. It felt wrong of me to be here but I knew I was doing this for Kie. I notice Pope's eyes widen in shock as I follow his vision line landing at the doorway.

All of a sudden my eyes widen in shock and relief as I see the man I love appear. Pope runs over and pulls JJ in for a hug as JJ's eyes meet mine from across the room. I feel my whole world stop momentarily as I look into his ocean blue eyes, but my happiness was suddenly washed away when I noticed the cuts and bruises scattered across his face. I quickly walk closer to JJ as he pulls away from the hug with Pope. The last time we were together, we told one another we loved each other and kissed.

To Be Continued..