Chapter 36

{The Phantom}

{The Phantom}

The car pulls to a stop and I get pulled out of my thoughts as I notice we are pulled outside JJ's house. 'Home sweet home.' JJ nervously chuckles looking at his house. 'I'll go in with you. I don't want you going in alone.' I say about to open the door but he quickly hops out of the car and closes my door. 'I'll be fine, baby.' He says putting his hand through the window and caresses his finger on my lower chin. 'I'll be out in a minute.' He says with a faint smile before leaving the car, walking towards his house.

Kie and I just sit in the car in silence not knowing what to say or even if it was good to start a conversation at this kind of time. Kie hops into the driver seat as we see JJ walk out of his house wiping away tears on his cheek. He hops into the back beside me and nuzzles his head into the crook of my neck pulling me into a hug. 'It's okay.' I whisper as I stroke my hand through his hair as Kie starts the car and drives off. 'Did you get the key?' Kie asks and JJ clears his throat. 'Yep.' He sighs holding up the keys.

***

We drive to the storage unit where JJ's dad is storing the boat. 'There she be. Hey, girl.' JJ exclaims as he slides the door open revealing The Phantom. His eyes widen in admiration and Kie giggles as he walks over to the boat. 'A 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom. The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under 16 hours. Forty years old! Forty. And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen.' JJ says like he was helplessly in love with the boat. 'It's kind of a junker.' Kie shrugs, I chuckle as I see JJs eyes widen in shock. 'Really? She's right there, Kie.' JJ points out and Kie and I both giggle at how ridiculous he sounds. 'She can hear you. Let's just put it this way. You would not be smoking weed right now if she never existed, okay?' JJ states and I walk over to him and place my hand on his shoulder and give him a smile. 'As long as she runs, babe. She's prefect.' I say and he smiles at me. 'Oh, no, she'll run all right.' JJ states attaching the boat to the car as we hear a motorbike screech outside. 'Pope. Finally.' Kie says but gasps aloud grabbing JJ and I's attention.

My eyes widen in shock and I flinch back into JJ's chest as Rafe and Barry enter the shed. 'No..' I whisper. JJ quickly grabs my hand and pushes me behind him. 'How you doing?' Rafe asks as Kie glances at JJ and I worriedly. 'Whoo-hoo!' Barry whistles as he appears behind me and I quickly turn around and glare at him. 'Well, well..' Barry says before clearing his throat then takes out his gun from the side of his pants. My eyes widen in fear as he points it at my chest and JJ clenches his jaw and fist in anger. 'See, don't think I forgot about what your boyfriend did to me on the side of the road.' He chuckles wickedly looking at me. 'I'm here because I want my motherfucking money.' Barry raises his voice as he approaches me and grabs me turning me around to face JJ while holding the gun to my head. 'Let her fucking go!' JJ yells running towards Barry but Barry quickly punches JJ to the ground and hops on top of him repeatedly hitting him. 'JJ! JJ!' I scream about to pull Barry off JJ but he raises his elbow up to my face knocking me to the ground. Rafe grabs Kie and pulls her away as Barry continues to punch JJ.

'Where's John b?' Rafe asks approaching me and grabs me by the top lifting me up so our faces could meet. 'I don't know.' I yell slapping him across the face. He grabs me by the hand and pins me up against the wall aggressively as he laughs wickedly. I look to the side of me and notice Kie on the ground groaning in pain and Barry repeatedly kicking JJ into the stomach. 'Let him go!' I yell trying to get out of Rafe's grasp to help JJ but it was no luck. 'I really wish you didn't do that.' Rafe says with a smirk and a shiver goes down my spine and fear overcomes me. 'I know what you did.' I say trying to stand my ground and show him no fear. 'What? What did I do?' He asks. 'You murdered Peterkin.' I raise my voice grabbing the attention of Barry. Rafe backs up from me and looks me straight in the eye before grabbing me by the throat as I gasp for air. 'Jackie!' Kie yells. 'Don't you ever say those fucking words again.' He whispers in my ear as his grip tightens around my neck. 'Rafe!' I say trying to gasp for air. All I could see was JJ and Barry punching each other as Kie tried to get her balance. 'Where's John b?' Rafe asks me once again but I just spit on his face. 'Go to hell.' I shout. 'Where's John b? Where's John b?' He keeps asking me as his grips tightens even more around my throat and my vision slowly starts to become blurry. 'I-R..Rafe...' I try to speak trying to fight for air.

All of a sudden I see Pope come up behind Rafe with a metal bar and hits him across the back sending him to the ground letting go of my neck as I fall to my knees gasping for air. 'Jackie! Are you okay?' Pope asks worriedly kneeling down beside me and grabs my arms. 'I—I..' I gasp for more air. 'Just give me a minute.' I sigh and he nods grabbing the metal bar and begins repeatedly hitting Rafe with it. I look over to JJ and he throws a punch to Barry causing him to fall to the ground. Kie immediately runs over to Pope to try stop him from beating up Rafe as JJ runs to my side and places his arm around my shoulder keeping me up. 'Baby..' he whispers as he gently places his fingers on the marks Rafe left on my neck. I flinch back in pain as he looks at me with a apologetic look. 'I'm okay.' I sigh. 'We need to go.' I say and he nods in agreement picking me up off the ground. Pope, Kie, JJ and I sprint to the car. Kie quickly starts the car and we speed off down the road.

To Be Continued...