Chapter 40

{Last Night Of Summer}

Once Topper and I pulled up to the boneyard. The sun had already set and it was pitch dark, the only bit of light was coming from the fire. The beach was packed with Tourons, Pogues and Kooks. Everyone was laughing, dancing and talking to one another like it was just another normal day. I take a deepbreath as my eyes meet JJ, Pope and Kie sitting on the log beside the fire drinking and laughing to each other.

As if Topper could read my mind, he quickly interlocks his hand with mine and gives it a reassuring squeeze. 'Breathe.' He faintly smiles at me and I nod taking another deepbreath. 'You want a drink?' He asks me and I shake my head. 'No. I quit, remember?' I shrug and he facepalms his face. 'Sorry, I totally forgot.' He says sheepishly and I chuckle. 'It's okay.' I smile at him. 'Let's get you a drink and find you a nice Touron girl.' I say grabbing his hand and pulling him through the crowd of people dancing. 'One drink, please?' I ask the man as he hands out drinks from the keg. 'Sure—' he turns around to face me and his eyes widen in shock. 'Oh my god!' He shouts and I flinch back as he grabs my hand. 'Let go of me!.' I say pulling my hand out of his grasp. 'You're the sister of the murderer of Sheriff Peterkins!' He says a little bit too loud grabbing the attention of others. 'You shouldn't be here.' A girl says spitting at my feet. I back away from the keg bumping into Topper as he grabs my hand. 'Leave her alone!' He yells at the girl and I sigh in frustration. 'Your brother should be in jail but at least he's rotting in hell now.' The man says with a devilish smirk, pointing at me and I clench my jaw and fists in anger as I lunge at him knocking him to the ground. 'You fucking asshole!' I yell as I repeatedly throw punches at his face. Topper tries to get me off of the man but all the anger I've had under control for the past month came rushing out and all I saw was red.

'I'll fucking kill you!' I say wrapping my hands around his throat, tightening my grip on him as he gasps for air. 'She's going to kill him!' A girl yells grabbing everyone's attention and from the corner of my eye I could see Pope, JJ and Kie sprint towards me. 'Jackie!' Kie yells kneeling down beside me, grabbing one of my hands trying to hold me back. 'My brother isn't a murderer.' I spit at him as Pope, Kie and Topper pull me away from the man. JJ picks the man up by his collar. 'Get out of here before I beat you up myself.' JJ argues realising his grip from the boy and he immediately runs away. 'Jackie! Are you okay?' Kie asks me as my knees buckle from underneath me and I fall to my knees. My breathing became heavy and my vision blurry. 'I-I...' I try to speak but I couldn't.

'She's just like her brother!' A man says pointing at me and everyone begins to chant murderer at me and my eyes widen in fear. 'I-I...' I stutter getting up and sprint towards Topper's car. I slam my hands against the door. 'Shit!' I curse aloud kicking the curb behind me. 'Jackie?' A familiar voice speaks up and my eyes widen as I realise who it is. It's JJ. 'What do you want?' I ask slyly looking at the ground as he takes a deepbreath. 'Are you okay?' He asks and I scoff. 'Does it fucking look like I'm okay?' I snap at him and he sighs. 'Look..' he goes to speak but I cut him off. 'You said you needed space. To be by yourself for a while but for some reason you're perfectly okay hanging out with Pope and kie. Did you three just forget all about me?' I ask as I let out a chuckle. 'Do you know what? Why don't you go back to them and keep on ignoring me. It's not like you guys have cared to check up on me for the last two weeks.' I argue and he sighs as he approaches me and places his hand under my cheek. I let out a sigh as I felt his fingers brush off my cheeks. That feeling I've been craving for the past month. Just the littlest things he does to me made me feel so happy. But that was the past. We're in the present right now and we're not together anymore and I shouldn't be enjoying this little moment.

I slap him across the face causing him to let go of my chin. 'Don't you ever touch me again!' I yell pointing at him. 'Jackie?' He says as his eyes widen in shock. 'Just go away.' I say looking away from him and he sighs standing there for another minute until he walks away. I immediately open the passenger door and hop in and lift my legs up on the chair as I wrap my hands around my leg and place my head on my knees as tears begin to roll down my cheeks. After a few minutes Topper hops in and takes a deepbreath before turning on the ignition and reverses away from the boneyard. 'Do you—' he goes to speak. 'Just bring me back to Greta and Vivians.' I say and he nods as he drives down the road to figure 8.

After a few minutes he pulls outside the driveway and I quickly hop out. 'Goodnight, Jackie. I'll see you tomorrow, okay.' He says and I nod before closing the door as he drives away. I walk up the driveway and slowly open the front door as I quietly walk up the stairs taking off my heels in the process. I throw off my clothes and toss them on the ground along with my shoes. I throw on one of John bs over sized hoodies that I decided to keep and throw myself onto my bed. I let out a sigh as I dig my head into the pillow. I was dreading tomorrow wishing it would never happen. But sadly life has to be a bitch and I will have to face everyone tomorrow in school and act like tonight just never happened. I sit up and grab my phone and send a quick message to Topper. 'Thanks for tonight. Sorry that we didn't have a good time, all my fault. Promise to make it up to you over ice cream. Don't forget I'm collecting you at 8:10am, so be up lazy.' I press send and place my phone back on the night stand. 'Goodnight, John b.' I sigh looking out my window at the moon hoping that wherever he was that he is watching over me.

To be Continued...