A visit from Dumbledore

The last thing I had heard when climbing into bed that night was "Kill them" an order that would cause the wizarding world to change forever.I was sat in the lounge reading the daily prophet like I always did in the morning,normally I would just flick through the pages,but today was different I was actually interested in the contents of todays news.Not only had Headmaster Dippet stepped down from being headmaster of Hogwarts,leaving Professor Dumbledore in his stead,but Tom was no longer known as Tom Riddle anymore,he was becoming more famously known as Voldemort and his followers,death eaters,were feared by many.This had been exactly what Tom had wanted,to strike fear in the hearts of those weaker than him.Nearly two months had passed since that night and I had not seen Penelope since the quidditch world cup,she did however write,but it was too dangerous for her to come anywhere near me due to death eaters being so close by.They were killing more each day it was all over the news.

However,it wasn't all fun and games for Tom and his crew,there were some who were fighting back,they were building an army but his was far bigger,he was recruiting all kinds of dark magical creatures to fight with him should a war begin.Those who were fighting back would need all the help they could get.I had noticed a few more objects lying around the house recently as well such as Rowena Ravenclaws diadem and Helega Hufflepuffs cup,how Tom had gotten his hands on those I did now know nor did I question it,I had learned to bite my tongue and not ask questions,it wasn't that Tom minded in private but he had nearly used the Cruciatus curse on me the last time I had spoken out of term when in front of his death eaters at a meeting.That had meant I was no longer allowed to go to them as when he had calmed down Tom claimed he couldn't control his anger anymore so it was better that I was safe out of the way rather than getting hurt and him regretting it. The doorbell went and when none else answered it I put my newspaper down on the coffee table and got up.

"I'll get it!"I called out and walked down the stairs to the front door,opening it to reveal Dumbledore stood with a purple coat and umbrella as it had been raining.Just like the day I first met him at the orphanage and he had offered me and Tom places at Hogwarts.

"Albus,come in,what brings you here?"

"I need to speak to Tom,where is he?"I didn't answer that because I didn't know he went off for weeks on end without a word of his return and each time he did he would look sickly pale and moody.

"Would you like to wait up here?"I asked as I led Dumbledore to the dining room where Tom often held his meetings.Albus nodded and took a seat but not at the head of the table I noticed.

"Would you like some tea?"

"Why do I get the idea that you are distracting me from the actual reason I came here?"He knew everything that man and it was really annoying.

"Because I am"I replied quietly,not meeting his eyes for fear of what I would find there.

"Clara,do you know where Tom is?"Looking back up I noticed that Dumbledores features had softened and he looked like he pitied me.

"No"I once more looked away from his eyes until I heard the distinctive sound of someone apparating on the street outside.

"Excuse me!"I exclaimed and rushed out of the dining room to the back door just as Tom walked in.Good,he didn't look anymore pale than last time but he did look tired.

"Clara"He gasped looking happy to see me and I smiled wrapping my arms around his neck and hugging him,I didn't want to but I would have to let go sometime.

"Dumbledores here to see you"Giving me a frown Tom let go of me and walked up the stairs to the dining room.

"Ah Tom!"Dumbledores distinctive voice sounded from upstairs in the dining room shortly before the door was shut.

"Would you like these Miss?"Gabby asked wandering out from the kitchen with a plate of chocolate chip cookies.

"Thank you Gabby"I took the plate from her and gave half of them to her.She smiled greatfully at me before going back to her work in the kitchen,I would have helped her clean up and normally I did but today I had received a letter from Penelope,I always left her letters until I knew I would not be disturbed as they were always detailed and long.Walking up the stairs and past the dining room to the library I heard muffled voices but that was it,not taking much notice of it I entered my room and closed the door partially behind me,leaving it open a crack.Making myself comfortable on the bed I opened the letter and began to read.

"Dear Clara,
                        As you may know by now death eaters are after me and I have had to make my family forget me to keep them safe,I knew they wouldn't let me leave otherwise.Charlus has agreed to help me and as of recently we have been camping in a tent in the middle of what looks like nowhere so do visit when you wish."

"Very helpful"I muttered under my breath becoming distracted by the raised voices in the dining room.I tried to refocus but it became unbearable and soon I was stood just outside the door with an ear to the door.

"She would be better off with someone else Tom,you know that..."Dumbledores voice broke through the silence which had rung for a few moments when I had began listening.It didn't take me long to realize they were talking about me.

"And what makes you think Dumbledore that it is any of your business,I love her,I am not going to let her go at the drop of a hat because you think she would be better off with someone else!"Tom hissed,by the sound of his footsteps on the wooden floor he was pacing,just like he always did when he was angry.

"Love her you may Tom but when it comes to the decision between you,where she is stuck forever with aurors after her,and freedom,able to make her own choices and live a long and happy life,what choice would you think she would make?"After that nothing was said for a long stretch of time and I almost didn't want to listen,I wanted to go back to my room and act like I hadn't heard a thing,but I had,and my feet were not moving at my command.

"If she chose to stay,I wouldn't force her to become a death eater,nor would I ask her to kill someone,I couldn't do that to her,I wouldn't do that to her.I would make her as happy as possible with me because I bloody well can't live without her,she is my sanity Dumbledore surely you of all people would know this"

"Shes one of a kind that's for sure!But could you make her happy when constantly being chased by aurors,they want to see you dead Tom,I am not sure how with a death sentence looming over your head you can keep her happy,rumors of your doings have reached your old school,Tom.I should be sorry to believe half of them."A devilish chuckle was emitted that sent chills up my spine.

"Greatness inspires envy,envy engenders spite,spite spawns lies.You must know this,Dumbledore.Those aurors you speak of,they should fear me because I don't fear them"

"I must leave,but think about what I said,give Clara the choice to go or stay regardless of your feelings on the matter,she has the right to make this choice on her own"Dumbledore stood and began to make his way towards the door to which I ran back to my room and resumed my position of eating cookies and reading Penelope's letter.The door opened and Dumbledore stepped out giving a quick glance to me before heading for the front door,leaving behind a distraught Tom leaning against the great fire place unmoving.Whatever Tom was doing while he was gone,it was taking its toll on him whether he liked it or not.