Fugitives

Days passed with no word from Tom, by the looks of it, this was going to be much harder for him than he had anticipated. I had been helping Amber tidy her room, when the familiar crack of someone apparating made me move for the door, a smile on my face, that was until the smile dropped, when I remembered that Tom never made any sound when he apparated, thinking it may be unwelcome visitors I changed my appearance, took hold of my wand so tightly that my hand started to turn white, and slowly, but surely opened the door. Upon the door opening it revealed two very wet to the bone aurors, wearing black leather coats and holding their red umbrellas from the ministry by their side.

"Yes?"

"We were wondering if you have seen any suspicious activity around here recently?"

"Well, no, why would you ever think that?" I forced a small smile, in an attempt to look as un-suspicious as possible. The eldest of the pair looked at the even darker storm clouds being brought in from the sea, and turned back to me, a creepy smirk appearing on his lips.

"Might we come in, for a cup of tea perhaps? The weather does not appear to be getting any better after all" With my heart thumping in my throat, I opened the door further and stepped aside, praying that Tom did not come back while they were here. Taking a deep breath I turned to face them, as they handed me their coats, surveying their surroundings carefully, before taking a seat on the sofa in front of the newly lit fire. A few moments passed where the room was silent, and the only sound was Amber upstairs continuing to tidy her room, and talking to her teddy bears as she tucked them into her bed. The Aurors seemed to take everything in, eventually, turning back to me expectant expressions on their faces.

"Tea?"

"Ah, yes! I almost forgot!" Making for the kitchen, I put the kettle on, taking a packet of biscuits and placing them onto a small plate, before peering around the stone wall separating the living room and kitchen, where the Aurors started to get more comfy, taking their coats off to dry and chatting happily. When the kettle started to whistle, I poured it and put the cups and biscuits onto a tray, trying to stop my hands from shaking as I re entered the living room, and placed the tray onto the coffee table. Watching the Aurors carefully as they took the hot drinks gladly and started to work their way through the biscuits. Deciding it would look more natural if I took a seat, I sat on the furthest away chair, trying to get as far as possible from the men who could potentially kill me and my daughter here and now if they suspected anything.

"Why have you come to Cornwall, gentlemen?" Breaking the silence, I swallowed hard as the atmosphere turned more serious, and the Aurors put their cups of tea back onto the tray.

"We have come to find the Dark Lord, and Clara Riddle"

"I thought they lived up near London?"

"They do...however, we have heard that they have come here, and after them being in hiding for so long it seems the opportune moment to strike!" The youngest of the Aurors, who looked as though he could only be in his early thirties smirked dangerously, an excited gleam filling his dark eyes.

"Then why have you come here?"

"Not to worry you miss, but they are highly dangerous fugitives, and so it is important that we find them-"

"So you decided to come to my cottage?"

"It is just a routine check, we have been round all the houses in town, found no sign of them, so we thought we would come here" Standing, I smiled warmly, feeling relieved that there was an opportunity to get them to leave.

"Well, as you can see, they are not here, so I wish you luck, and good day" Making for the front door, I went to open it, only to freeze as chills went down my spine.