You can't ~ Chapter eight

4 years later 

"TOM, NO!!!"I screamed, my voice echoing off the castle walls,  briskly walking after him as he moved quickly through the corridors, heading for the girl's lavatory. It was nearly eleven o clock and as a prefect, Tom would normally be setting out from the Slytherin common room to patrol the corridors, but tonight he wasn't "Go back to bed, you will get a detention if you are caught out this late"He snapped over his shoulder at me, only sending a fleeting glance to check how close behind him I was. "Do you really think I will let you get away with this?!"I asked, glowering at his back. "Knowing you, no, but there's not much you can do about it" Tom declared calmly, stopping and turning round with his wand pointing at me, I stopped, keeping my eyes on his wand, I had seen what he did when people got in his way of his plans, it never ended well. "Tom, just listen to me; Penelope is a muggle born, you like her don't you? She's my best friend!" I shot back, seeking to talk some sense into him.  My eyes moving from his wand to his dark eyes. "What a shame she will die along with the rest of them" 

"If I was a muggle born would you still stand by while I was hunted down?"I asked softly, pleadingly looking Tom dead in the eye, for a fleeting moment, I thought I saw sadness wash over his handsome features, his eyes averted from my gaze to his wand, when he looked back up to my eyes  he looked just as cold and emotionless as he was normally, when he wanted to hide his feelings. "I thought you wouldn't be able to answer that"I said huffing sadly. "That's because I love you, I wouldn't let that happen to you" Tom replied, his face remaining unreadable."Of course you wouldn't, but when that thing is released; controlled by you or not there will be death" I protested, tears gathering in my eyes, I backed away from him towards the common room.

"But it's late and you don't want me around, so I should probably just go back to the common room" I turned on my heels, walking away from Tom and round the corner. I had not been walking for long when I heard a quick pace of footsteps coming after me, a hand grab my wrist roughly pulling me into a dark corridor,  pinning me to the wall. "Tom!"I exclaimed angrily and frowned at him in confusion, when he put a  hand over my mouth, just as Victoria Clearwater passed by the corridor. She had been my foe for many years and worked alongside Tom as a Slytherin prefect, unfortunately for me, she, along with hundreds of other hopeful girls in our year had a crush on Tom; all of them often fighting for his attention. Once Victoria had passed us by, and we were sure she was out of earshot, Tom removed his hand from my mouth.

"Thanks" I said albeit still annoyed at him. He had, however, helped me to avoid an unwanted meeting with Victoria, and for that, I was grateful. "Miss Pevensie, may I inquire as to what you are doing out of your common room at this hour?"Professor Atwell's voice startled us; my eyes snapping over to where she stood at the hallway entrance. "I will be going now,  I did not realise what time it was, Professor"I lied smoothly, attempting to slip away, hoping I would get out before she said anything more. "Not so fast, Miss Pevensie! "She called from behind me and stopping me in my tracks. "In fact, I was just heading to the Slytherin common room to collect you, Professor Dumbledore wishes to speak with you. Now, if you will follow me"Professor Atwell turned obviously expecting me to follow her. I sent a worried look to Tom wondering what on earth I could have done,  before my pace quickening to catch up with her. What could professor Dumbledore possibly want with me?