The killing of the Basilisk

"Oh, you have got to be joking!" Standing, I crossed my arms over my chest as I tried to piece together why Dumbledore would send me to the Chamber of secrets...only one conclusion came to mind, that I was to kill the Basilisk before it had a chance to kill any of the muggle borns. If Tom was prepared to try and kill me over some books which would aid him in gaining immortality, then he sure as hell would not be happy with me killing his little pet. Just as I was about to act, the mouth of Salazar Slytherin's statue dropped open, and the sound of the Basilisk ploughing its way through the many tunnels made me freeze. I don't think this time turner has the ability to save me from a Basilisk...

Deciding that I would catch the Basilisk by surprise, I quickly searched for a hiding spot. Wading through the water in the tunnels, I managed to find a pipe which would provide me with enough protection from the Basilisk, but also enough room to be able to defend myself. Getting my wand out and at the ready, I prepared for the Basilisk to turn the corner and face me, as the sound of it slithering through the water grew closer, just as its outline appeared from the shadows, the door to the chamber began to open. Whipping my head around to face the opening door, I frantically searched for a hiding spot, if I was seen, I was doomed. Running into the closest tunnel, I waded through the water, crouching low to the ground, my cloak pooling around me. Moments later, Tom strolled into the chamber, passing by mere inches from where I was hidden. He began to speak in parseltongue to the basilisk, and I listened closely as the pair seemed to have a conversation. 

Slowly, I moved deeper into the tunnel, to remain as hidden as possible from sight, should Tom see me out of the corner of his eyes. It seemed my intuition had served me well, for seconds later, seeming to have finished with the basilisk he began to leave, and I breathed out a sigh of relief, only for the breath to catch in my throat as he paused momentarily by the entrance of tunnel in which I was hidden. Moving forwards, he eventually left, the chamber door slamming behind him. Hesitantly, I stood, careful not to make too much noise that would alert the basilisk to my presence; I made for the exit of the tunnel, pleased to find that the Basilisk had now disappeared back into it's home in Salazar's statue. Apparently, that could not have been further from the truth, for I caught the reflection of a very large slimy tail swinging towards me. Ducking, the Basilisks tail hit the concrete above me, causing a resounding crack as it connected with the dense tunnel ceiling. 

Just as I had hoped the Basilisk had become trapped out of its own stupidity, hearing no movement from beneath the rubble, I began to lift up pieces of concrete with a levitation spell, a large pile of rubble having formed when I finally reached the Basilisks body. What appeared to be a very unconscious basilisk quickly turned out to be a very conscious one, for it lunged at me, stumbling backwards, thinking that maybe, just maybe, the time turner would take me away from this situation, I clenched my eyes shut. Suddenly, all movement of the Basilisk ceased, and the Chamber of secrets grew silent. Slowly opening my eyes, my gaze turned from the dead Basilisk in front of me to Tom, whose wand was still drawn, with his hand shaking ever so slightly. I half wondered if this was the version that remembered me burning his Horcrux books, but I thought better of it, if Dumbledore wanted me to actually succeed with this task, then he better help me to avoid an angry, betrayed Tom at all costs. 

"T-thank you" 

"Don't mention it" Offering me a hand to help me up, I hesitated, but quickly took up his offer, allowing him to walk back with me to the entrance of the chamber. 

"Why did you save me?" I asked warily, my eyes remaining on the many bones that I was being forced to step over, each of the bones crunching under my feet as we made our way back to Moany Myrtle's bathroom. 

"Why wouldn't I? I must admit, though, you are the only person I have ever met to try and take on a Basilisk" 

"Y-you saw that?" 

"I was watching the whole thing, quite entertaining actually...have you ever noticed that your top lip curls up when you concentrate enough?" I shot daggers at him, which quickly silenced his laughter. It was only as Tom kept babbling on about how he had saved me that I realised just how out of character he seemed, freezing on the spot, I took out my wand, directing it at his back as he marched ahead. 

"Revelio" Toms appearance soon changed to that of a tall, blonde, Victoria Clearwater, the last person I had expected to find. She stopped talking, seeming to realise that her disguise was now broken. 

"I was wondering how long it would take you to figure it out. I am surprised, though, it did take you quite a while" Silencing her with a dark look, I joined her at the foot of the slide. 

"You saved me, yet you had no reason to, in fact, I rather think you would pay to see me be killed by the Basilisk. You could have watched me die, why didn't you?" 

"Because I have no reason to watch you die, I am dating Tom Riddle, and you have a massive crush on him, I merely wanted to see your face when he saved your life...and it was quite entertaining, worth the month it took to make the Polyjuice potion." 

"You are dating Tom??" Maybe Dumbledore had sent me to a dimension where Tom was pissed, and not just pissed, getting back at me by dating Victoria Clearwater. I really never thought even he could sink so low. 

"Well yes"

"How did you manage to speak Parseltongue?" 

"Tom talks in sleep" Then she began the descent up to the girl's lavatory, while I started to re- arrange things in my head. Tom was dating Clearwater, he had tried to kill me for burning a couple of books...maybe he was madder than I thought....way madder. Joining her in the toilets, I stood deep in thought as Victoria began to close the entrance up. 

"You look as pale as a ghost, we can't have you going to care of magical creatures like that!" Grabbing my hand, Victoria positioned me in front of the bathroom mirrors, grabbing her things and taking out a makeup bag, turning me to face her, before putting on concealer and some powder to add some colour to my face. 

"Now come on, as much as I might want to, we cannot miss the whole lesson!"

***

"Clara, where have you been? the class started half an hour ago" As usual, I received a warm welcome from Penelope, who sent me an unhappy look. 

"I was busy" I trailed off as I met eye contact with none other than Tom Riddle, whose lips turned up into a smirk as he wrapped an arm around Victoria's shoulders, turning back to the professor with a smug smirk on his face. That absolute-Penelope handing me my things broke my concentration. 

"A thank you would be nice, it took me forever to get all your stuff together, it's all strewn about everywhere!" 

"Uh thanks, Penelope" Satisfied with her answer, she began to take notes, whereas I could not take my eyes off of the 'happy couple', it was bugging me and Tom knew it. Several things were now clear to me if I was to succeed, and ever return home, I had to learn to play this game better than Tom...after all it does take two to tango.  

AN: Merry Christmas everyone, I hope this wasn't too bad or too short, I just thought I would give you guys a Christmas update seeming as I have been forced to take so much time off. Thank you for all being so considerate and waiting so long for me to update, and I hope you had a very merry Christmas!