• 𝐂hapter 17

I readjusted my bow tie and tugged my sleek white tuxedo the moment I arrived in front of Hope's apartment door

"Hope?" I knocked, eager to see her for a reason I didn't fully understand.

I guess I was just a little jiggy to drink her in the outfit I had picked out for her since I had never really done this for any woman before.

With Megan, it was straightforward. She liked to do her own shopping and always questioned my fashion taste whenever I went out of my way to get her clothes, shoes, and accessories, so I stopped and just handed her my credit card instead.

I shook her thoughts away from my head instantly. Right now, my main focus was on Hope and my child.

When a minute passed and she still didn't open, I stepped forward and knocked again.

"I'm sorry. Give me a minute!" Her voice boomed from inside the room, the shuffling noises indicating that she was pacing around quickly.

I glanced at my watch. We were already running behind schedule. I groaned, leaning forward to knock again but the door suddenly swung open before I could and what it revealed made my gut tighten.

Fuck.

She went braless, her exposed cleavage teasing. My eyes lowered to them, and I knew I probably shouldn't be leering at a woman's breast so bluntly but, the way her chest rose and fell made it hard to tear my eyes away.

Fuck again. I internally shook my head. If I didn't stop, my cock was going to start getting the wrong message and I did not want to walk around all night with an aching boner.

I cleared my throat and forced my eyes back up to her moderately caked face. "Are you ready?"

She nodded and then bit down on her bottom lip in a way that caught my eye. They were painted red, plump, succulent. My insides felt funny. After our kiss, my entire body had been tense and all I wanted was to feel her lips against mine one more time.  Seeing her biting down on down flesh like that only made me want to press her into my chest and ruin—my pants grew snug. Fuck, no.

To distract my brain from sending jolts to my dick, I hurriedly reached into my breast pocket and pulled out a red jewelry box. "Here, put this on."

Her eyes beamed with curiosity as she accepted the box from me and opened it. It had a solitaire diamond cut chocker inside.

"Killian." She closed the box with a sigh and stretched it back out for me to take. "I can't accept this. I already went out of my way to accept this dress but this necklace looks too expensive."

"Well, it is," I frowned. "And it has a no return policy so you have to wear it."

Her lips pursed, making me look down at it one more time. Fuck. "Why are you spending so much on me, I clearly can't pay you back."