• 𝐂hapter 4

The subway ride from Bayview to Powell street was long and I had to endure the cacophony of noise usually brought about by people constantly fighting over free seats

Fast forward half an hour later and I was standing in front of an enormous lobby whilst running my hand over the red dress Lesley had picked out for me.

Taking a deep breath in and adjusting my little dress one more time, I made my way through the entrance.

The receptionist; a flawlessly dressed auburn-haired girl around my age sat behind a marbled desk. She smiled pleasantly at me. "How can I help you?"

"Hi, yes, please. I'm here to see Killian Fobster."

"Is he expecting you?"

"I called to schedule a meeting yesterday."

"What is your name?"

"Hope Sterling."

She smiled. "Excuse me one moment, Ms. Sterling," she consulted something behind her desk for a moment. "Great, you are expected. Please take the last elevator on the right to the sixteenth floor."

After handing me a security tag stamped with the company's logo, I nodded a quick thank you and navigated my way to the elevator. It whisked me with lethal velocity to the sixteenth floor and when I stepped out, I exhaled a deep breath I hadn't realized I held.

According to the sign in the lobby, the acting CEO occupied the entire floor which came as a shock to me because, well, I knew Killian was loaded but not this loaded. I guess it was somewhat relieving to know that the father of my child had a stable finance.

Smoothening the nonexistent wrinkles on my dress, I stalked through the wide, heavy lightened hallway and soon found myself facing a dark blonde adorned impeccably in black and white.

"Good morning."

She sent a rueful smile my way. "Good Morning. Mr. Fobster is unavailable at the moment."

"I'm happy to wait,"

"If you wish." She motioned to the plush couch situated near the floor-to-ceiling windows that illuminated the San Francisco skyline at its brightest.

Taking the cue, I headed toward it and sat, trying to calm my nerves by doing the breathing exercise I picked up from watching Jane the virgin.

Inhala . . .

Exhala . . .

Inhala . . .

Exhala . . .

As minutes dragged by, I repeated the routine and it did seem to be working for me because I didn't feel as tensed as I was when I walked in, but the minute the elevator dinged, everything went from a hundred to one.