• 𝐂hapter 33

I had lost sense of time as I stood there, hands shaking, heart pounding, eyes wide open

My throat felt like it was closing and my chest constricted. It was as though my world shifted off balance and everything began to tilt. I struggled to inhale but the breath lodged in my throat refused to emerge as I stared at the photo of Killian and then the accompanying headline that followed.

Scandalous marriage.

Those two words rang in my head, making my heart stop and pump again.

A scandalous marriage.

A gold digger?

False pregnancy.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment, wishing it would all go away, wishing this was just one big scary nightmare, but when I opened it, it remained the same. The headlines remained the same. They'd dubbed me the gold digger, they'd dragged me out for using my suspicious pregnancy as a means of trapping Killian.

Did I?

I didn't. I didn't trap him nor did I force him to marry me. I didn't even want any of this. I didn't want to be with Killian or get pregnant for him.

When the bathroom door pushed open, I turned. Killian stepped in. "I forgot my..." His words slowly trailed off as his eyes landed on me. "Hope?" His gaze darted down and he frowned. "Why do you have my phone?"

"Killian..." My voice broke. I tried to swallow past the tightness in my throat but it only hurt. "They know, It's-it's everywhere."

His forehead crumpled. "What do you mean? What's everywhere?"

My weakened knees gave out and I found myself staggering for stamina.

Killian rushed to my side and held me behind my back. "You need to sit." He guided me to the edge of the bed and urged me down on it. He was no longer naked which was so much of a relief because seeing his boner right now would have been awkward. But that was little compared to my worries; compared to the pain I felt in my chest.

"What's wrong?" He asked me hoarsely, skimming my body.

"Killian," I took cautious breaths, trying to calm myself. "It's on the news. They know, everyone knows about us, about the baby, our fake wedding. Your attorney called and -and-"

"Rogers?" He cut me short, a look of worry clouding his features.

I nodded quickly. "Yes Attorney Rogers. And he sent you an email that had a Tabloid article attached to it. Killian, everyone knows about us now, they know what we have isn't...isn't real."

"Why the hell would Rogers send me a tabloid?" He yanked the phone from my hand and scrolled down. I watched his eyes move as he read with a sense of impending dread, and at some point, they widened, instantly tainted with anger.