• 𝐂hapter 38

I survived the past two days of living with Killian by staying out of his way, keeping to my bedroom, and remaining quiet at dinner

We hadn't spoken much to each other since Scott helped me settle. I didn't know why and I didn't bother to ask too because Killian wouldn't talk. He'd given me major cold shoulders and only spoke to me when I asked for instructions. I tended to do that often because I got lost a lot.

Albeit, today, I was particularly bored out of my mind and decided I was going to visit the diner for some adrenaline pump.

After getting off a call for my mother and assuring her I was taking care of myself properly, I brushed my teeth, took a bath in my bathroom, and thirty minutes later, I was giving myself a final once over on the mirror.

I finger-combed my hair, picked up my black bag, and headed out the door towards the stairs and now the living room where I met Killian walking out of the kitchen with a newspaper in his hand and a cup of coffee in the other.

It didn't seem like he was in a hurry to get to work today because he was still clad in his sleep pants and shirt.

"What are you doing out of bed?"

There it was; that morning huskiness in his voice that always found its way straight to my core.

"Good morning to you too, Killian." I drawled, continuing my walk to the door.

"I asked you a question." He jeered, making me stop in my tracks and turn.

"I'm going to Joe's for work."

He looked at me like I had just said something disgusting. "You should go back to your room."

My forehead rumpled in a frown. "Why?"

"Because I don't want you working."

"If I don't work I won't have money." I pointed out but he just stared at me like I had said nothing.

"Give me a list of your needs and I'll provide everything. You don't have to work at a beat-down diner anymore."

I shook my head. "No thank you, I want to work. I'm tired of staying home all day doing nothing."

"Watch movies, read books, go on spa treatments but not that diner."

He was using the matter-of-fact tone with me that I disliked. I snorted. "No, I'll work."

A sigh came from deep in his chest, letting me know that his irritation was building. "Hope, you stopped working the moment you agreed to marry me. Now go back up to your room because this discussion is over."

"You can't just take this autonomous decision and stop me from going to work. If you're so worried about the baby then I can assure you It'll be fine."

"Nothing you say is going to change my mind." He began to stalk away, leaving me dazed and confused and I wasn't going to have it.