• 𝐂hapter 18

Between the smell of seafood and rich upstate lobbyists gloating about how they successfully cheated on their wives and got away with it, I didn't know which nauseated me the most

    Nonetheless, after counting to ten in my head, I got up from the table I'd been sitting on and decided to take a breather because something about watching Maria stab the lobster meat with her fork and pry the shell open made my stomach turn in ways it shouldn't.

    I wasn't a big fan of seafood and my pregnancy only intensified the need to throw up. Excusing myself, I took the elevator up to the grand terrace where I leaned over the banister for a fresh breath.

    The skyline was beautiful—absolutely magnificent. I always loved how the blue haze of day fell and lifted to reveal the stars. It was euphoric—as if God had singlehandedly sprinkled glitters upon the most perfect of black portraits.

    I smiled, feeling the wind blow my hair into a tousled mane as I reminisced back to the days of my childhood when I'd push my head out of my bedroom window and look upwards, watching the stars.

    Growing up, I always had these bizarre fantasies.

     Back then, I would perch by my open window and stare at the twinkling stars half the night, wondering what it would feel like to love and be loved in return.

     It was silly, I knew but ever since my then childhood friend, Becky Rose introduced me to a world of romantic novels, there'd been a permanent ache in my chest, an endless yearning to experience romance at its peak. The kind my mother never experienced, the kind my father never gave.

     Most times I would daydream about a man. I would picture us together, strolling hand-in-hand, happy smiles on our faces. I'd dreamt that we had this huge house with maids, butlers, and two little kids running around. It was perfect, almost real, a happily ever after I could almost grasp.

   But now...

     Now, it felt like I was never going to get my happily ever after. 

     It was shocking how I went from being the little kid who wanted to touch stars to the high schooler who just wanted to be loved, and then the college student who tried to love but got her heart broken, and now the unemployed college grad pregnant and engaged to a man she barely knew or liked.

     Pathetic.

    That was the word.

    I chuckled at my dilemma, not failing to notice the gracious footsteps now approaching me from behind.

      "What are you doing out here alone?"

     What did he want now?

   "Just taking a breather," I mumbled, not turning to look at him. "I felt nauseous in there."