• 𝐂hapter 62

After dinner, Killian and I walked the beach a while in comfortable silence, watching the scanty crowd

Life here seemed so different, so surreal, carefree, easy. "Everyone here seems happy. It's amazing."

"If you like it so much, we could always relocate."

I snapped my head to look at him.

He shrugged. "It'll be a good chance to get away from everything. There are lots of free rooms, we could maybe make one into a nursery."

I released my breath in a soft sigh. "Killian, stop saying things like that."

He chuckled softly. "I mean it. You're the only woman I've ever brought here, that's because you mean a lot to me."

"Not even Megan?" I wanted to suck the words back in the second they slipped out because he stared at me with an emotion that choked me. "On second thought, don't answer that," I said quickly and looked away from him.

"Not even her."

His words sent a flutter to my belly. "Really?"

He smiled. "Let's find somewhere to sit, your feet must hurt."

They did. I nodded and offered no disagreement as he led me to the dry rocks and assisted me as I crouched on one of the boulders.

He sat next to me. When I looked at him, his expression lacked humor.  "Can I ask you a question?"

"You just clearly did."

I narrowed my eyes. "You know what I mean."

"Fine. Ask away."

I cleared my throat, thinking carefully about how to gauge my questions. "How did you meet Megan?"

He looked up at me.

"Of course, if you don't want to talk about it, I under-"

"It's fine." He relaxed. "Megan was the daughter of my grandfather's business associate. We had similar fates. She wanted to become a journalist for The New York Times company and I wanted to pursue my passion for architecture but both our parents had different plans for us. We managed to get away, I enrolled in a science school and she moved away to London for her studies but surprisingly, when my mother died she showed up at the funeral and like that, we got close."

He heaved a breath.

"It's funny you know, after my mother died, I vowed never to allow myself to get caught up or attached to anyone because I never wanted to suffer that kind of loss again. But when Megan came, it changed."

My heart throbbed. "How long were you with her?"

"Three and a half years."

I swallowed my jealousy. "You must have really loved her."