Chapter 11

Part 1
I can see Dakotas eyes taking in her surroundings in the mirror hung up on her right. She stops at the wall filled with random photos of me, Mitch, Sarah and a bunch of other friends. A faint smirk disappears as quick as it appeared when she sees a picture of all three of us together back when my hair was still quite short. I can hardly recognise us all.

'There you are

'There you are. I was begging to get the search party out looking for you! Oh sorry I didn't realise we had company.' Mitch comes bouncing down the stairs in only a pair of jogging bottom, hair all over the place while he rubs the sleep from his eyes.

'Mitch this is Dakota, Dakota Mitch. Erm mate' I pull Mitch to the other end of the hall way, 'this is like the dodgy shit you asks not to be involved in. It's just business mate nothing going on between us.'
He looks over to Dakota who is fiddling with her rings on her fingers, something we both seem to do when we're stressed.

'Ok, no worries. Keep it down tho yeah, we don't really wanna be hearing how good you are in bed.' I lightly punch his stomach as he cackles a laugh smirking like he's so funny.

I see Dakota slowly start to move closer to me from the corner of my eye, my guess is to listen in, hoping to hear what I'm really up to.

'Oh shut up you prick, go on go run back to bed in your little pjs.' All three of us start laughing quietly.

'Hey, I'm Mitch by the way, I'll introduce you to Sarah tomorrow. She's asleep at the minute. Right I'm off see ya later.'
Mitch smiles at Dakota and she mirrors him. He runs upstairs avoiding the steps he knows creak.
I can tell she feels awkward just standing in my hall way so I bring her in properly.

'Oh cute you have a dog. Didn't picture you out to be the caring types Styles.' She leans down to great Clifford. His happy waggy tail thumping on the hard wood floor. 'Clifford, cute name. Hi Clifford oh you're so cute! Yes hello hello I'm Dakota. Nice to meet you too.' She adjusts his collar to read his name tag.
I find myself watching as the petite girl in my kitchen is now squatting on the floor giving my dog belly rubs.

There's that ache again in my chest. I couldn't delay it any more so I just come right out and say it. 'we're going to kill Jeffrey, Dakota.'
A small gasp falls from her lips and her eyes shoot open. She falls a little so she's fully sitting on the ground.
'Are you crazy!' She jumps right up not realising how close she is to me and has to grab my arms to stabilise herself.
'I know you think it's to dangerous and crazy and probably going to get me killed in the process but I've been speaking to other gang members in towns near by. We all agree that this is our only option. Me and my friends don't want to live the rest of our lives hoping one day he'll just drop our debts. I don't owe him shit anymore I payed him back years ago but he insists I owe him my life.'
I can almost hear her brain working away in there, searching for anything to say.

'Well what about me? Am I just a part of you paying your debts. Am I just some pawn in this game you to have going on! Please Harry you said you were going to help me!' Her eyes began to go cloudy. The whites becoming blood shot and just as she blinked a stream of tears slowly fell down her rosey cheeks.

'Hey hey hey, no baby look at me, it's not that black and white. We're going to get you out of this mess. I know I dragged you into it and we're going to get you out of it.' Am I going soft? Baby? I couldn't help it tho. Seeing Dakota breaking down in-front of me made me realise maybe I do see her more than just some friend I used to know.

With her big puffy eyes blinking away the last few tears, I brush them away with the pads of my thumbs. How could someone look so beautiful while crying? Maybe it's because she's letting me in, letting me see her at her most valuable.

'Come on, here's your cup of tea, let's go get you settled. How about a nice hot Bath and some clean clothes hm?'
She replies only by a nod of the head. She takes the edge of her sleeve and rubs under her nose to stop it running, I hear a little laugh behind me as I lead her up the stairs to the bathroom.

Part 2
I'm now just sitting on the edge of my bed waiting for Dakota to finish up in the bathroom. I left a change of clothes on the door handle and a tooth brush as well.
Not sure what else to do with myself I dig my phone from out of my pocket and to keep Jeffrey off my back a little long I send him a text.
Harry: Jeffrey. I guess you were right. She's impossible to track down. I'm doing everything I can to find her and two of my guys are going to come and help look tomorrow. I'll let you know when anything changes.

'That aught to keep him off my back for a bit.'
Without me realising my body finally clocks how little sleep it's running on. A throbbing pain hits me at the back of my head and my eyes are fighting to stay open. I can't just fall asleep tho I need to show Dakota to her room.

It's like she knew I was thinking of her when I hear the shower turn off and the sink turn on in the other room. Not a moment later the door slowly pulls open to reveal the girl. I can just about see her from where my room is.
'Erm sorry Harry. Have you got any clothes I could- ah Thankyou.' Her soft voice barely a whisper as I hear her start changing.

'Hey'. I must have zoned out because when I opened my eyes they're met in the dark with a pair of brown ones.
'Hey' not realising I'm staring I cough to fill the awkwardness I've created.
'Sorry long day is all. Erm you can stay in here for now. I'll take the sofa.' I offer her my bed because she looks like hell. She definitely hasn't slept properly in weeks, just by the way she's slouching in the doorway shows how little energy she has to hold herself up any longer.

As I'm about to head downstairs, she grabs my arm lightly. 'Harry' he soft touch tickling the hairs on my arm catch me of guard.
'You have to understand the risk I'm taking trusting you, I'm putting my life in your hands. You see that right? Don't let me regret this.'

She's right. Her life really has fell into my hands now and I'll be damned if I loose her again.
'I understand. Don't worry I'll explain properly tomorrow. Just get some rest yeah.'

A few hours go by and I've only managed to get a little sleep. My brain is in over drive trying to come up with a way to help Dakota. I can't take it anymore and take myself off into the garden for a smoke. I go to grab a jacket from the coat rack but see that my leather vest where I keep my cigs is missing, I throw one of Mitches fluffy coats on and head outside.

Sarah is known for forgetting to turn the fairy lights off before going to bed and it's no surprise she forgot tonight. I make my way down the little path to the fire pit when I get the shit scared out of me.
There with her knees pulled up in a little ball, my leather vest drowns Dakota. She looks even tinier than usual.

'So she's the thief in the night.'