Chapter 53

Harry's POV

December 1st

The begging of a new month. 17 days until my mum arrives. A clean slate some say. I woke up this morning wanting to put everything me and Dakota talked about last night to rest and not have it spoil this month, because boy is it a big one.

I've not been sleeping at all really these past few months, so it wasn't a shock to me when I looked at the time this morning reading 5:45am. Dakota was wrapped up in most of the blanket, face smushed into the pillow.

It was still pitch black outside, the house was so quiet and still. Kinda weird walking around so early in the morning. Right now tho I've made my way downstairs. I've pottered about a bit, let Clifford out for a wee, and I thought I'd start breakfast for everyone. I'm going to make a fry-up, seen as I have the time, and 2 big pots of tea and coffee.

It's now 8am, a reasonable time to be waking up, so I don't feel guilty for putting on some Christmas music because why not, it's Christmas. Taking out my phone and putting my Christmas playlist on shuffle, a belter of a song starts to play. I don't play it to loudly, in case I wake everyone up, but just enough for me to dance around to.

(Play the song)

The song starts to play and I instantly feel upbeat. I pick up a wooden spoon that was on the counter singing into it like it's my personal microphone.

'The mood is right! The spirits up, we're here tonight, and that's enough!' God why do the lyrics to every song I listen to have to link to my life at that time. We're here safe right now, let's savour it!

'Simply having a wonderful Christmas time! Simply having a wonderful Christmas time!' Bloody love Christmas, something about the music that really makes me feel excited. It's nice just having this moment for myself. I haven't been alone in so long, I've missed my own company. 

Trying to keep my voice to a quite level is becoming quite difficult. The song is building and I can't help singing along.

'The parties on, the feelings here, that only comes, this time of year. SIMPLY HAVING A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME, SIMPLY HAVING A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME!'

Buttering away the toast and looking through the cupboards, I completely loose focus on the whole being quite thing. When I turn back around to place them on the counter, a voice scares the life out of me.

'THE CHOIR OF CHILDREN SING THEIR SONG! THEY PRACTICED ALL YEAR LONG! Mitch must have heard me because he's never awake this early.

'Happy 1st of December Harry. You're in a good mood.' I am actually and I'm going to stay in a good mood until Christmas. Nothing Jeffrey does now can ruin it for me. I can't keep hiding away and worrying.

'Well you know, can't mope around forever. I'm trying the optimistic look on life. Keeping a positive outlook, might just make things better.' Jesus have I been smoking something, where has this come from?

He gives me a sleepy weird look like I'm an alien or something, only rubbing his eyes and going to the fridge.
'Who are you and what have you done with Harry?'

About  9:30am, everyone else woke up and have made it downstairs. 'Mmm what's cookin',  smells delicious!' Both Sarah and Dakota woke up around the same time, to the smell of breakfast.

We ate as much as we could, talking about Christmas and what we're making for the dinner. All just normal breakfast conversation. Laughter and music playing, this is to perfect. Why do we keep getting these little glints of perfection, what our lives should be like all the time, when just around the corner something comes and blows it up. I can't stop my brain from wondering off from the conversation of the group. It's only when Dakotas small hand rests on-top of mine, giving it 3 small squeezes.
I look to my right and see her give a small thoughtful smile that holds so much meaning. 

The day went on with not much happening. We lounged around the house, entertaining ourselves and watched some Christmas movies. We'd barely managers to move from the kitchen to the living room with how full we all are and thought a siesta on the sofas would be great.

Eventually I decide to start clearing away from the morning but as I go to start putting some plaits into the dishwasher, my eye catches a small movement coming from outside. Thinking it's only Clifford, I don't think much off it. But it's when I feel fluffy fur rubbing up against my leg, that's when my heart starts to hammer. If Clifford is inside, who or what the hell is in my backyard?

Everyone was still very much enjoying there conversation at the table so I didn't want to cause a scene. So I simple slipped out the back door to have a look what it could have been.

I took small steps onto the concrete floor, hoping not to alarm whatever it is out here that they're not alone. When I make to the garden there is nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing missing, nothings moved and there isn't anyone or thing around.

Thinking I'm just going crazy and that Jeffrey is really getting in my head, I brush it off and head back inside. It's only when I get back into the kitchen, is when I confirm my suspension. Making a run for it back to the street, is a man I vaguely recognise. Not really thinking about, I grab a knife from the counter and bolt it after this person. I'm sick of these people snooping around my house and friends.

'Oi! You! What do you think you're doing in my garden!' I didn't really have a plan of action, I kind of just went for it. Running as fast as I can bare foot, I get close behind them.

I can see them now, it's a man fairly the same age as me. A lot smaller than me but bloody hell is he fast. 'For fuck sake, STOP! I Just want to talk!' Considering this guy was snooping round my house, he's lucky I didn't volley this knife straight into his back.

Just as he was running around the corner on the end of my road, I saw a short cut to cut him off. Asking wasn't going to do anything, I have to grab him. Just in reach, I manage to grab the back of his jumper.

'Wow alright! What do you think you're doing?' I'm taken back by a thick Irish accent

'Wow alright! What do you think you're doing?' I'm taken back by a thick Irish accent. He's standing there with his hands held in front of him waiting for an answer when really it's me who deserves and answer to that question.

'Are you serious?' I huff out a sentence trying to catch my breath. 'You were just in my garden spying on me or god knows what you were doing! I'm the one who needs answers you fucking leprechaun!' The cheek and nerve of some people! I can see he's not sure how to come back after my comment. His eyes flick down the knife I brought along with me, and I catch the panic in his face for as slip second.

He started to slowly take some small steps back away from me and I don't blame him, I must look like a fuckin' psychopath.

'Look I'm sorry. I don't even know the guy who wanted me to keep an eye on you ok! I was sent by his employees to just keep an eye on you and see who was with you and if some red head was still with you. That's all I was told. I'm sorry, I didn't even want to do this fucking job, you know I was just running to grab coffees yesterday and now I'm being chased down by a mad man with a knife!'

My brain can't decide whether to just kill him and get it over with, listen to what he has to say or just completely shut down all together. Standing there like a sack of spuds, the first thing to come out of my mouth is, 'do you ya drink tea in Ireland?' What the fuck Harry!

His chest is heaving, wide eyed and scared to death, he probably thinks I'm some fucking loony. I need to ask him what he knows and maybe this time not kill him at the end. Maybe if Dakota could talk to him, things might go a-bit smoother.