Chapter 51 - The New Moon

"What?!" Kai turned to Sensei.

"Corrupted?! Aether — thats Lucy!" Jay exclaimed, grabbing onto the ship rails to hold on.

"Yes, it is," said Sensei, staring at the new risen moon.

Now on the Bounty, Lloyd was oddly quiet as everyone was freaking out.

"WE ONLY JUST BEAT MORRO!" — Cole.

"THERE IS TWO MOONS!" — Jay.

"Lucy wouldn't..." — Zane.

"There's no way it's Lucy!" — Nya.

"WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?!" — Kai

They kept yelling, arguing about whether Sensei was lying — not many of them were saying that but the way Nya and Zane were insisting Lucy would never and Kai and Jay were vehemently defending Sensei while Cole was complaining about not getting a break.

"SHUT IT!"

Everyone went silent when Lloyd snapped.

"We're a team. We don't fight among ourselves," Lloyd said firmly, coldly. His normally warm green eyes were so clearly cold. "Sensei. What do you mean by corrupted?"

Everyone looked to the elder.

Sensei sighed. "Long ago, before the Overlord was, as we know him, the Overlord. He was a young man, with the ability to create life and light. He was the first Master of Aether."

Everyone gasped.

"He didn't realise it then, he wrote about it after the fact, and I've kept the tome safe until Lucy had passed, when I lost it. But when the Master of Aether, what the Overlord was, dies, their element will act out in an attempt to safe them. Transfer—"

"Transferring their soul into a newly created body," Lloyd finished. "Yes, but what happened?"

"In order to prevent the Master of Aether from becoming immortal, that action causes the element to corrupt. Turning the Master of Aether into the Master of Nether," Sensei said. "That in of itself is not a danger, it is only the element that is corrupted, not the Elemental Master themselves. It is when they fall to the call of the dark side that what we see outside happens. This is different from the Overlord's corruption, this is less based in want of power, and in something else. What that is, I do not know."

"So something happened that led Lucy to be corrupted," said Lloyd. He paused for a second. "Where was Lucy while I was possessed, again?"

"She took a break before Morro showed up," said Nya, "her bike was gone and I tried calling her for hours after we left the tea shop but she never replied or picked up. Everyone else wasn't that worried I don't think, they were saying that Lucy can handle herself... what was it you said, exactly?"

Nya looked at Misako.

"I said that Lucy is strong, she can handle herself. Lloyd being possessed by Morro was the bigger problem, I thought," Misako explained gently.

"As far as I know, they didn't even try to reach out to her." Nya said, looking back at Lloyd. "I swear I tried, Lloyd."

"So... let me get this straight... Ghosts we're attacking you guys and wanted me dead and you didn't stop to think that maybe, since there was a Ghost in my head, they wouldn't know I had a little sister? That maybe they'd be able to use her against us? Or worse, try and kill her?!" Lloyd demanded, the coldness making way for anger. "What was going through your minds when you didn't even try and reach out to her?! Lucy's a part of our team! SHE HAS BEEN SINCE THE DARK ISLAND! SHE SACRIFICED HERSELF TO SAVE US AND NONE OF YOU TRIED TO MAKE SURE SHE WAS OKAY AFTER I GOT POSSESSED?! EVEN IF IT WAS TO GET HER TO TRY AND REACH ME BECAUSE IF ANYONE COULD'VE IT WAS HER!"