Chapter 73

Kate's Pov

"You must die?" I say in shock.

"Momento Mori, I heard that saying before, Martinez ..." Says Anna in shock.

"Is this her work?" Asked Lucas.

"Even worse" Says Anna as I look at her.

"So they've made their move?" Asked Elijah.

"The Secret Society, an organization that works on the shadows, hired by Martinez" I say as I gulp.

"Mrs. Connor, we must get you to safety immediately!" Said Lucas.

"Kate, you're in grave danger" Says Anna as Josh walked in.

"Kate" Says Josh.

"Sorry Josh but I'm afraid I have to go, talk to you later?" I say to him as we hurried out the door.

"I'm coming with you" Says Anna.

"What about the delivery man?" Asked Lucas.

"He looked like a regular delivery man but I'll run a background check and track him" Says Elijah.

"Where are we going?" Asked Anna.

"Back to Jane's apartment" I say.

"Are you going to tell her?" Asked Anna.

"I have to, I already sent her a text to meet us at the apartment" I say as we jump in my car and drove off.

We hurry back to Jane's apartment as she waited for our arrival.

"What's going on?" Asked Jane.

I then explained the situation to her.

"Secret Service? I've never heard of such a thing, there's no way aunt Martinez would be a part of something like that" Says Jane.

"She has her dark side Jane" Says Anna.

"The interview" I say as she gulped.

"So revenge for sending her to prison?" Says Jane.

"It would seem so, they were hired to keep that sort of information private to protect your aunt" I say.

"And you told the Times" Says Jane.

"And I told the Times" I say.

"She warned you not to and told you about the Secret Service" Says Jane.

"I thought she was bluffing" I say.

"Clearly not" She says.

"I do not like the tone of your sarcasm" I say as I gave her the death stare.

"Let's see if we can sort this out before it gets any messier than it already is" I say.

........

We then spent the day looking for clues and pinpointing who could be behind the note sent, according to Lucas, the delivery guy was a regular delivery guy for some company downtown, they have no recollection of who ordered the flowers to be sent, just money from a wired account and instructions via an untraceable email. We spent all day looking through surveillance and leads but we found nothing. 

"Our last option" Says Jane.

"I'm all ears" I say.

"I'm going to see Martinez" She says.

"What?!?" I ask.

"I will ask her directly" She said as she grabbed a jacket.

"What makes you think that she'll tell you?" I ask.