Chapter 36

Kate's Pov

That was the longest ride home... Jane was so silent, she had a troubled look on her face. She looked sad and pissed at the same time.

"Where's your car?" Asked Jane.

"The tyre was punctured" I say.

"Your phone?" She asks.

"Lost it.." I sigh.

"What the hell is going on Kate?" She asks.

"Someone was following me" I say to her.

"And being the idiot that you are, you decided to follow that person didn't you?" Says Jane as she scolds me.

"An idiot?" I say as I raise an eyebrow.

"What the hell is wrong with you Kate, what if he had hurt you!" She says.

"She didn't and I don't like the tone of your voice Jane" I fire back.

"Dammit Kate. I'm not always going to be there to protect you. Don't ever do something so stupid again!" She yells as a tear fell out her eye.

I then noticed she was shaking, she looked so scared. Jane... you're supposed to be strong one...

"I'm sorry. I won't do anything so reckless again" I say to her as she calm down.

"Thank you. You need to be careful... also... who was that woman?" She asked as she kept her eye on the road.

"My boss" I say to her.

"Leo is your boss" She says.

"She is in charge of me, she's the head of the Sales Department, her names Adelyn" I say to her.

"Stay away from her. She looks like bad news" Says Jane.

"She's my boss Jane, staying away from her is impossible" I say to her.

"Just be on your guard. I'll run a background check on her" Says Jane.

"A background check? Are you possibly jealous Jane Connor?" I say suprised.

"Of course, you're mine. I'd just like her to know that" She says.

"I don't mix my work life with my personal life, you don't have to worry Jane" I say to her.

"Good" She says as she pulls into the garage of her building.

We both get out of the car, her facial expression changed, it was back to that worried look.

"Are you okay? You zoned out" I say to her.

"My mother's here..." She said gulping.

"Your mother's here? What why?" I say surprised.

"No idea. She wants to speak to you" She said gulping.

"Did she say why?" I ask.

"No she didn't. Be on your best behaviour" She says as she leads me to the elevator.

"I don't think I can deal with your mother right now Jane" I say as I stop.

"She won't leave until she speaks to you. Please Kate" She says as she extends her hand.

"That woman hates me" I say.

"She's my mother Kate, please" She asks.

"Fine" I sigh as I enter the elevator. The elevator then went up as it stopped at her floor.

"There's something else I should probably mention" She says as we exit the elevator. I then notice her mother pacing around the room but she wasn't alone... there she was... Martinez... I gave Jane the death stare as she fake smiled.

"Be on your best behaviour" She whispered as her mother approached me.

"Kate" She says as she looks me dead in the eye.

"Hello" I say gulping.

"Jane, I'd like to speak to Kate alone, you and Martinez go wait in the other room" She says to them.

"Are you sure mother?" Says Jane as she approaches us.

"I'm not asking dear" She says as she gives her the death stare.

"Come Jane. I got some stuff to update you on" Says Martinez as she gave me an intense stare. They both then retreated to the other room.

"You embarrassed me that night when you hit my sister Kate" She said.

"And I would gladly hit her again" I thought but didn't say.

"I apologize. It wasn't the best course of action on my part" I say to her as she pours a glass of Brandy.

"Jane never calls home, she doesn't check up on us, I never know what's going on with her, she doesn't return my calls, nothing of the sort. By some strange coincidence she met you and that changed. She started being a team player again, it's like you unlocked part of her that she hide away for so long. A mother knows these things. I've known Jane for so long and I lost her when she went on her own. She left home and she never returned to me, when she finally returned to me she wasn't the same. I saw a part of her today... a part of her I thought I lost forever and I have you to thank for that Kate" She says to me. She looked like she was about to burst into tears.

"I see a part of Jane that no one does. I think she needs me as much as I need her" I say to her.

"And I'm truly thankful for that. You're just what she needs. She needs you Kate. Please don't hurt my daughter" She says as her voice breaks.

"I will never hurt her. I'll protect her. I'll guide her. She's an amazing girl. You did a great job" I say as I smile at her.

"Now about that night... I don't know the details of what happened and my gut feeling tells me I really don't want to.. my husband has faith in you, which is quite rare. I'll let that incident slide for now but please don't do something like that again" She says to me.

"I won't" I say as she hugs me.

Jane and "that woman" then returned and joined us.

"We must be going now" Says Jane's mother.

"It was a pleasure to see you again Ms. Williams" Says Martinez with that benevolent smile on her face.

"Likewise" I say giving her the death stare.

Jane then led her mother to the elevator as Martinez stood right next to me as I faced the other way. She then whispered something to me that made my heart skip a beat...

"Kate... it would seem you lost your phone. You have to be more careful now, a phone holds the most privacy, if it falls into the wrong hands then it could be quite detrimental..." She whispers as she walks to the elevator. I then turned around as she gave me a sinister smile as the elevator door closes.

"Jane, Ms. Williams, I'll see you again" She says as she stares at me. What the hell....

"What did you and mother talk about?" Asks Jane as I spring back to reality.

"She forgave me" I say to her still a little dazed and confused.

"That's great" She said as she smiles.

"Yeah" I say.

"Babe. Are you okay?" She asks.

"Yeah just a little tired" I say to her.

"Then go shower, I'll make us something to eat" She says as she kissed my forehead.

I take a deep breath and headed up to my room. I open the door and enter still dazed... not only is Adelyn suspicious and can possibly be my stalker but Martinez just entered the fray, now there's two possible suspects... Adelyn... or Martinez?...

I remove my dress and headed to my bed to rest my dress there. I just wanted this long confusing day to be over... then right there came the most confusing part of all... on my bed laid my phone... and the locket...

There in that instance I froze... not because my phone and locket which fell in the alleyway was there laying on my bed... it was because there was someone behind me...