Chapter 58

Adelyn's Pov

Next day

I reviewed some reports during all that time. What I heard from Leo is, we are going to have a urgent meeting with the owner of a big multinational who has some proposal for us. I took a sip of Whiskey to relax, business meetings were always too tiring. And then I walked to the conference room, Leo was already there. Kate arrived almost on top of the meeting that was about to happen.

"Good Afternoon, everyone" I said.

-Good Afternoon, Adelyn. Have a sit" Leo spoke.

I smiled and looked at Kate in the back that distributed the paperwork on the table. She smiled back. When the conference room door opened.

"Good Afternoon, everyone!" Said Jane as she entered the room with a broad and arrogant smile, walking towards us as if she owned the world. I honestly couldn't believe it.

"Sorry, I'm late" She apologized, I glared at her.

I didn't even need to say how that woman annoyed me, her arrogant and prepotent air made me have the urge to jump on her neck.

"Good Afternoon, Jane" Leo spoke extending his hand to Jane.

"Good Afternoon, Mr. Atlas" She smiled greeting him. I sat there not knowing what was happening. What could she possibly want? Why did she called an urgent meeting?

She stared at Kate in an admired way, causing a feeling that by the way bothered me a lot. I squinted my eyes towards Kate who swallowed hard. For some reason that hadn't pleased me at all.

"Shall we start the meeting?" Kate spoke finally breaking the silence.

Jane smiled and nodded. Walking to her chair that was on the other side of the table, in front of me. I sat in my seat with Kate beside me, exchanging an almost deadly gaze with the woman in front of me. She stared at me in a prepotent way and I did the same.

"So Jane, what's your proposal?" Leo asked. The woman took a deep breath and smiled cynically.

"I want to buy Diamond Star Publishing Company"

For some instants I imagined having heard wrong, or fantasized those words coming from her mouth. But no. Jane Connor had really made that proposal. I took a deep breath, still staring at the woman and thinking about the situation a few minutes ago. I looked at Kate who knew what that proposal had caused in me. This company means a lot to me and I wouldn't give it away to someone at any cost. With delicateness her thin fingers rested on my hand in a quick caress, almost imperceptible, as if she was asking me to stay calm.

"So, Mr. Atlas? What do you say?" She asked confidentiality.

"Let me think more about this proposal, Jane. We can't give you an immediate answer" Leo says to her.

"Can I ask you a question, Ms. Connor?" I let out almost sharply.

"Yes, of course" She said. I smiled sarcastically. Under the fearful eyes of Kate.

"When passing in front of our company, or when you walked in here did you see some kind of plaque or document that said we wanted to sell?" I asked.

"No, I haven't seen any. But..." I interrupted "Right, I can't understand then. From where did you take such an absurd idea? Do you really think that we would sell the best publishing company to you?" I asked calmly and Jane arched an eyebrow and smiled cynically in my direction.

"I'm sorry, but I don't see the idea as an absurd one. I know that your company is going through a great loss. I have enough money to buy your company, Ms. Knox. And make it a much bigger empire"