Genuine

Kinkade crossed his arms as he watched lance practice his shooting with his bayard, he seemed to be completely focused and didn't even notice him coming in the room. Or Veronica, or Allura, or anyone that kept coming in the training room. There must be something on his mind.

"Lance are you-" "hey lance!" Veronica waved her brother over on the other side of the room as kinkade wasn't loud enough to be heard.

"Oh hey Ron," lance looked up surprised.

"Mamá quiere que vayamos esta noche," she said in a gentle tone as she knew other people were in the room, some others were training.

"Oh uh... I'll check with the team but I might not..." lance hugged his chest a little nervously.

"They uh.. invitando a más unos," she nodded slowly.

"Are you?" He asked a little surprised.

"Nah, I'm staying single for now, I can't be worried about a girl right now," Veronica shrugged but glanced at her brother.

"You should though," she smiled gently.

"Should what?" The Paladin frowned confused.

"Bring someone, they just want to make sure your happy, but if you don't it's okay too," she touched his shoulder but he took a step away.

"I said I'll talk to my team if I even can go, if I'm not here for voltron and something happens we're done for, I'm already slacking," lance crossed his arms keeping his eyes down.

"No your not lance dont talk like that, I thought you were taking your meds again?" Veronica knitted her brows together.

"I am!" He scoffed a little offended.

"Sorry I don't think I'll make it tonight, not when we're basically on a lock down cause of the galra," lance turned around and turned his bayard back to its basic form to go back to find literally anyone else.

Veronica sighed shaking her head. He's grown up but that spark of joy was only a flicker in his eyes now. She noticed kinkade near by and they made eye contact for a moment.

"Hey kinkade, would you be able to see if lance is okay? He's been different since he came back," she walked up to the pilot.

"Of course ma'am," kinkade nodded.

"Are you two close? Just with you both being long range fighters you might be able to have more in common," she crossed her arms a little with a small sigh.

"I-uh we're aquatinted," he mumbled a little shy about it.

"He just needs to know people need him to keep his head in the game, make sure you find out if he's taking his medication," Veronica nodded and walked off as the pilot frowned at that.

He knew lance lied already to her about his medication, he's not telling her that though.

But he wanted to find Lance anyways.

Kinkade turned to go after his friend but as soon as he opened the door out of the training room he saw lance already there, he didn't get far.

"Everything okay?" Kinkade asked softly.

"Wanna go for a drive?" Lance asked calmly.

"I don't think we can," he pursed his lips. The Cuban shrugged a little looking away.

"Let's go tonight instead," Ryan smiled back. Lance was surprised but smiled brightly. That was the smile Ryan knew from his friend, it was genuine, it was real.

"I've missed hanging out with you there, I'm glad you brought it up," the pilot chuckled as he started to walk away and lance joined him excited.

"It's to tight here, I feel cornered all the time," lance groaned as he walked with his hands behind his head to stretch.

"No kidding, why do you think I started to sneak off?" Ryan put his hands behind his back glancing at him.

"I love being with people and all but when they're all breathing down my neck I just need space, it's one thing to have Allura and Shiro on my ass then keith, then Pidge, it's like hunk and Coran are my only friends in space that I can just relax around," lance tilted his head back as he stayed close to Ryan.

"Till some weirdo wandered in the desert," he giggled and Ryan smiled back innocently.

"Well I've never been one for enjoying to be in crowds or close with someone till this random guy was just living in the desert," Ryan shot back making lance laugh a little.

"We really ran into some crazy folks," lance teased as they both laughed together.

"How were you liking the new set up for the range?" He asked as lance was calmer and didn't seem so nervous.

"Man it's so easy, the targets feel like they're to close but maybe it's just on easy mode or something," lance began to ramble about it but kinkade didn't bother telling him there is no easy mode, that even Griffin couldn't shoot some of those targets, lance was just talented with a blaster. He listened anyways as lance ranger passionately about his strategy and how different it was compared to some castle?

Lance quickly became aware he was talking to much when Ryan looked ahead while they walked.

"Then what happens to the gladiators when your done?" Ryan asked curiously. Lances heart skipped a beat when warmth spread throughout his chest. He was wrong, someone was listening.

"So like i thought they disappeared when you beat them but I caught keith once and I just ended up yelling for them to be finished and they just vanished? I'm thin air?" Lance scoffed shaking his head with a smile.

"But weren't they..." he didn't understand.

"No exactly that's what I'm saying!" Lance cried out just as confused.

"I'll never understand technology like that," Ryan stuck his tongue out a little.

"It's altean, it's never going to make sense," he agreed.

"So when do you wanna sneak out tonight?" Lance whispered when he brought his hands down.

"Will everyone be sleeping by midnight?" Kinkade asked.

"I'm not sure, it's just Pidge, hunk and Allura, if anything it's just Pidge," lance shrugged.

"How about one then?" He grinned a little.

"Deal," lance nudged him with a giggle.