Defend

Bang

Bang

Bang bang

"Kinkade!" Griffin waved his hands as kinkade lifted his safety glasses off his nose and placed it on his head. He turned around curiously as he set his rifle on his shoulder.

"Where you been man?" Griffin walked over as kinkade checked on his gun making sure it was still charged up.

"Here," kinkade raised an eye brow.

"Something on your mind? You've been odd lately," Griffin crosses his arms concerned.

Kinkade shook his head but he lied with ease, a simple 'no' was enough to convince. He was worried about lance, he heard the galra were getting closer, he hoped that voltron could help but hoped more that lance was alright. They didn't have much protection out in the desert. Maybe he should go out and see if lance was on watch.

But what would happen if his team mate found him instead? It didn't make sense why lance would be out tonight anyways, it was only Thursday, lance is on watch only on mondays. But god he wanted to talk with him.

"Just stressed, war and stuff," kinkade looked at his friend softly and griffin nodded.

"And your family?" Griffin asked quietly.

Bang

"I'm sure they're fine," kinkade didn't look at him as he kept his eyes on the target. He was petrified where they could be, but he didn't have time to think about if they were okay or not.

They had to be okay.

"What are you boys doing?" A older women walked over adjusting her glasses. Kinkade knew it was Veronica without even looking at who walked in.

"Just talking, kinkade being a sour puss," griffin teased.

"You okay kinkade?" Veronica walked over to him.

"Just a lot on my mind," kinkade sighed putting his gun down and looked at her calmly. A small smile with a nod followed.

"I know, we all are stressed out, this war isn't meant for humans but luckily with Sam holt and his experience we are more prepared than before, all we have to do is wait for voltron," Veronica smiled putting her hand on his shoulder and kinkade smiled gently nodding but noticed griffin rolling his eyes.

"Voltron hasn't showed their face in three years, why does everyone still think they're out there," griffin scoffed but kinkade watched Veronicas eyes turn cold as she looked at James.

"No one knows what happened but I know voltron is alive," Veronica snapped.

"With what proof?" James mumbled walking away but Veronica grabbed his arm and slammed griffin against the wall with his arm bent backwards.

"Voltron is alive, take it back," Veronica hissed with a glare.

"If they're alive then why haven't they come to earth? They're cowards," Griffin grunted but Veronica pulled his wrist higher making him gasp in pain.

"You take it back, don't you dare ever call my brother a coward," Veronica barked in his ear but kinkade gently pulled her away as griffin inhaled deeply holding his arm to his chest.

"No one knows what happened in that battle, dont assume the worst griffin," kinkade told him seriously as Veronica walked away frustratedly.

"Yea well those Paladins were never known as the hero types when they were here except Shiro," griffin whispered to kinkade so Veronica wouldn't hear.

"I mean seriously, Kogane was a drop out who got in fights every chance he got, gunderson was illegal in here anyways, garret was a fucking cry baby and mcclain was a damn joke, I wouldn't exactly call them protectors of the universe," he explained with a shrug but kinkade glared at him darkly.

"What do you have against any of them? They all disappeared five years ago and turned out theyve been fighting in war for us, they're just as much soldiers as we are, especially mcclain," kinkade snapped back but griffin looked at him amused as he snorted.

"Okay I agree on that then, except mcclain, kogane and the others I can see, they're all actually smart, I'll give them that," griffin leaned against the wall smirking.

"But Lance mcclain? He's the dumbest fuck boy you'll ever meet, he was a cargo pilot for the longest time, the guy only has luck on his side, not skill, and everyone knows it too," he waved kinkade off walking away as he left the training room.

Kinkade was in shock at what came out of his friends mouth, that James would say something like that about his own friend. Lance wasn't dumb... he was brave.

"Griffins always been arrogant, he looked down at lance a lot because griffin was top of the class," Veronica wasn't far as kinkade thought she was. She had a sad look on her face as her arms were crossed still.

"He's wrong, mcclain isn't dumb," kinkade told her as he felt the need to defend his friend even if no one knew they were alliances.

"We're you close to lance before?" Veronica asked softly.

"No," kinkade pursed his lips.

"Then you wouldn't know," she laughed to herself with no humor.

"No lance wasn't stupid, but he did have his moments, before his medication he had a really hard time in school, distracted easily, and he's a huge flirt, i couldn't believe he was accepted in the academy in the first place," she sighed thinking about her brother.

"I.." kinkade was lost for words.

"Don't worry, Lance wasn't book smart, but damn he was good with people, once he got his hands on the equipment it was like he's been doing it all his life, he has good instinct, but it sucks cause you have to be good with books here too," Veronica rolled her eyes annoyed.

"You say it like it's a bad thing," kinkade huffed a little as he knew he was better with books than with a gun.

"My family is fucked up in a lot of ways, and learning disabilities or mental health is one, I'm dyslexic, and so is my older brother Luis," Veronica leaned against the wall.

"Lance has anxiety and adhd," she whispered.

"What type of medication did he use to help?" Kinkade asked curiously.