Hesitation

As days went by lance helped Keith out a bit more with keeping everyone distracted as he entertained, Lance even offered to train with Keith who agreed happily to move a little rather than lounge around like some others.

Lance offered to take his night shifts as well when Keith didn't seem to hyped or even motivated, it only happened when he gets to tired and stressed, when lance gets closer to beating him at a match is when the Cuban got concerned. Keith wouldn't let him win even if it killed him.

Lance didn't mind taking the shifts, it was nice being back on the earth, he didn't want to ever take advantage of the little things again, how his home world looked, smelt, felt like. Felt like home with the breeze against his tan skin and the moon shining down on him. Never again will he take advantage of this. Everything was different.

Lance laid on his back in the dust as he let out a soft sigh looking at the stars. He didn't mind it at all. He barely could sleep anyways, but also when he fell asleep during the day no one yelled at him, which was nice too.

He wore his jacket as tonight was chillier, cosmos was sleeping next to him and lance could feel himself drifting off as well but sat back up forcing him to stay awake.

Lance groaned running a hand through his hair and slapped his cheek softly to wake himself up. But something in the distance caught his eye.

"Hey cosmos," lance patted the wolf's head to wake him up. "You see that too?"

Lance pointed ahead as there was a vehicle driving in the desert as lance slowly crawled onto his stomach as he turned his Bayard into a sniper, using the scope to see what or who it was.

Before lance could even focus on the vehicle he heard a bang from it as the vehicle began to smoke but there was a sudden spark right after.

"Shit," he hissed sliding down the side of the cliff and rolled to his feet. Not taking a second thought to run to them Incase they where injured or in trouble.

As lance ran closer he recognized it as a garrison vehicle and let out a small sigh of relief that it wasn't galra.

"Hey buddy you okay?!" Lance ran over as cosmos teleported to his side and ran with him.

Lance saw a male digging through the hood of the car and went to look up but smacked his head on the hood. Lance caught the hood before it fell on the man.

"You okay? That was pretty loud," lance made a face as the man rubbed his head.

"Thank you, I'm fine," the man hissed a little in pain but they both realized something. No one is suppose to be out here, and no one was suppose to know about them.

"Um, why are you all the way out in the desert?" The stranger asked now confused.

"Could ask you the same thing," lance smirked crossing his arms.

"I'm a photographer, and there's suppose to be a perseid meteor shower tonight," the man shrugged. "I was trying to get further but I don't think this thing will allow me," he chuckled softly.

"Your from the garrisons," Lance chuckled back glancing at the vehicle.

"I am, I'm an MFE pilot," the man shrugged it off as he closed the hood and went to the passengers side to grab his equipment.

"A what? They didn't have those before, is it like a type of class?" Lance asked leaning against the car.

"No, it's a team, four of us, Samuel holt made these air crafts for us to fight against the galra, top of the class and best pilots for the job, after all the others where..." the man pursed his lips.

"Well you have to have the best in this kind of war," he sighed and loaded up his camera to take pictures of the stars.

"Whos part of the team?" Lance asked again, he was curious where the garrisons gone to since they've left, plus dealing with his own team got boring when he's heard it all before.

"Well it's only four of us, Veronica joined on if our missions, otherwise it's myself, James griffin-" "wait fucking griffin got into that?!" Lance cut the unnamed man off sharply.

"He's such a dick, I think keith kicked his ass once..." lance thought for a moment and the man looked at him confused and slightly unamused.

"And did you say Veronica? Like Veronica-" "Griffin is a good leader, and how do know about him or Veronica?" The man now cut lance off.

"I attended garrisons, fighter pilot," lance winked.

"Aren't you a refugee?" He asked the Cuban confused.

"Aren't we all?" Lance snorted. "No I'm-" he stopped himself after as he realized he shouldn't even be talking to this guy in the first place.

"Are you with the galra?" The man asked now reaching for his gun on his hip.

"No no no no! Were all against the galra! For fucks sake we took out the damn leaders!" Lance put his hands up and the boy looked at him even more confused.

"Who are you then?" He asked slowly.

Lance paused for a second and the boy his age seemed to understand his hesitation, it was a war and they where strangers.

"I'm Ryan Kinkade, am officer of the galaxy garrison," he held out his hand. Lance looked at him with carful blue eyes.

The boy seemed his age if not a year or so older. He had smooth chocolate skin as well as dark brow hair with some dangling in his face after the sides and back where shaved. His olive green eyes where steady and seemed trustworthy as they stared into lances ocean blues.

"Lance McClain, paladin of voltron," he shook his hand smiling softly.