Sinking

Lance told kinkade he'd try to get the night shifts on mondays so they could hang out more. Kinkade agreed. And it would only stay between them, to not risk the voltron paladins return spreading to the galra, and so the paladins wouldn't freak over someone else knowing.

As childish as it felt to have a secret friend it felt relieving to have someone you seem to be able to rely on. A new someone who you get along with.

The third time kinkade went out to meet lance, he flashed the lights three times and soon saw lance walking with cosmos as he waved at the African American teen. Kinkade smiled and waved back turning off the car.

It was just some teenagers having fun. They sat in the dirt this time as lance explained some constellations but kinkade told him about their origins, how they came to be, the ones sailors used to navigate , lance smiled and listened this time.

When it was two hours before dawn they'd part as lance would comment a joke and kinkade would smile and tease back making lance shut up impressed by how smooth the teen was.

"So third times a charm I guess, Hope fourth doesn't get fucked," lance chuckled as he stood in front of the vehicle and kinkade was leaning against the hood.

"Well if so, the fifth will be a ride, but don't jinx it McClain," kinkade smirked looking down at lance smugly and went to the drivers seat as he started up the car.

"Hey what's that suppose to even mean?!" Lance called confused.

"Whatever you want it to mean," kinkade called back in his deep slick voice and drove off leaving the Cuban to his thoughts.

Cosmos walked up to his putting his nose against lances hand and lance jumped a little.

"What?" He looked at the space wolf. Cosmos looked at him and lance rolled his eyes as he let the wolf teleport them back to the cliff.

Lance could see the garrison vehicle in the distance as it was dark enough to easily pin point where kinkade was worry the lights. He sat down in the dirt to wait for the sun to go up soon, a sigh exhaled lances lips as he enjoyed the silence but missed the company.

Lance couldn't wait till he got to see kinkade again next week, as great as his team was, it was hard for them to really care about fun chit chat. They all were to busy planning for war, talking about technology advancement, lance even backed off Allura as she's been to focused to do anything else than have a small talk, anytime lance attempted to talk to her she waves him off. Guess he really fucked up on a decent conversation after so many flirt attempts, he really didn't blame her.

Hunk and pidge were even to busy for him, but it really didn't feel to different than back on the castle, everyone had someone to connect with. Allura and coran as the only alteans, now romelle just join them, Keith's always had shiro, hunk and pidge still have each other for smart stuff.

Leaving lance with himself. Even when they where woth Lotor as allies. Guess somethings don't change.

It could just be him being over dramatic, Lance was so use to family and never being alone this is just what it was like to grow up. But kinkade made him feel normal again.

Ever since he lost his medication from going to space, lance has played the role to keep himself normal. He smiled and joked but his mind was to busy to actually think, it felt weird, but after a few more days of being off the meds he felt everything changing, had to wear the sleeping mask so he couldn't distract himself and stay up for hours staring at one thing.

Lance perked up realizing he could get his meds back, sam comes in two days, he could get the prescription medication to feel normal again.

But did he really need it...? Kinkade made him feel normal, maybe cause it reminded him of having a therapist again. But kinkade wasn't a therapist, he was a good man, a good person, a good friend.

Lance sighed running his hands through his hair as he leaned on his knees. He needed them. His anxiety was off the charts but he blamed the battles on it, he felt like he was always sinking further and further into his mind as it was impossible to breathe. The guilts and paranoia was slowly sleeping as he saw more and more death in this war. Lotor even made him feel guilty, how they almost lost Keith, almost lost Shiro multiple times, romelle loosing a brother.

Lance snapped his eyes open. He hated being alone, it only left him with his thoughts.

"Come back..." lance whispered seeing the garrison vehicle turn smaller and smaller in the distance. "Kinkade.."

Cosmos walked over to him and set half his body into lances lap making the Cuban grunt a little but slowly sank his hand into the dark aesthetic furs of the space wold, letting out a breath as he focused his attention on the dog.

"Thanks bud," lance smiled a little at him.

But lance still hated being alone...