Never

Lance couldn't sleep that night. He just tossed and turned but kept flinching when his hand touched his cheek that was now a dark blue. It got dark outside fast so no one noticed.

"Ugh," lance sat up with his bangs brushing his eye brows a little, he's really let his hair grow out...

He peaked outside of his tent curiously and noticed the fire went out but he went over to it anyways feeling it's embers still giving off slight heat.

To much was on his mind, the war, the MFE and garrisons, his family, his team, Ryan... he couldn't seem to just focus on himself lately.

Why did Ryan look at him like that..?

Why did he want more?

Lance sighed staring at the red embers that sizzled still. Whatever he was feeling was the last thing he needed right now... but he yearned for someone like that still. He hated it.

"Why are you out of your tent?" Shiro stood over him.

"You are over six feet tall you can't scare people like that!" Lance wheezed holding his chest in pure fear.

"Sorry," shiro sat next to him curiously seeing something was on his mind.

"So you and that kinkade kid, you really hit it off," shiro smirked at him a little and lance blushed softly nodding.

"Yea he was pretty cool today," lance shrugged.

"Were you guys close in garrisons?" He asked curiously.

"No? I only met him today," lance lied but shiro saw right through him.

"Dont yell at me?" Lance squeaked a little backing away.

"Depends..."

"I-I've actually known kinkade for like a month, we hang out when I was on night shift," he admitted and looked at shiro like a child and a parent.

"It was on accident though, his car broke down one night and we just started to spend time at night," he gulped feeling like he was going to be in trouble.

"Yea I know," shiro smirked a little.

"What? How?" Lance sat up surprised as he looked at his leader.

"I found you one or twice by the truck at night, I was going to let you come inside but you seemed fine," he chuckled.

"Besides you two were not subtle today," shiro patted his head with his one arm as Lances jaw dropped.

"So do you like him or something?" He asked as lance mumbled Spanish under his breath pushing his nose on top of his knees.

"No? I'm not gay," Lance made a face but shiro quirked his brow.

"I thought you were bi?" He said confused as lance burned red with wide eyes.

"Uh no!? what gave you that idea?!" Lance squealed covering his face.

"Besides you crushing on my little brother?" Shiro scrunched up his nose.

"Why does everyone think I liked keith?!"

"Besides the point," shiro sighed shaking his head.

"I-I don't like kinkade like that, hes just really nice to me, makes me laugh, I enjoy being around him, he's so cool to, really smart and kind," lance sighed looking at the embers again and shiro smiled softly.

"He's just super cool! His family seems nice, like his dads a cop and his mom works at a library, he loves his sisters, I guess they really look up to him, and he's just a good listener and like actually listens to me, he's such a good person," he smiled thinking about him.

"And you like him?" Shiro chuckled.

"No!"

"That's why your blushing too?" He smiled at lance.

"Oh my gooood I don't like kinkade like that, he's a super awesome guy, a good friend, that's it," lance stood up with a huff as shiro laughed watching him storm back to his tent.

"It's nice getting outside like that," Rizavi walked out of the shower in a tank top and basketball shorts as her hair was down and glasses on her nose.

"They were nice," ida nodded sitting on her bottom bunk as the boys were across the room as kinkade was on the top bunk.

"Yea seems like kinkades crushing, hard," Rizavi smirked over at him as she used the towel to dry her hair more.

"What?" That caught his attention as griffin walked over.

"Kinkades not gay," griffin snorted. "I've seen him and trust me he's a lady killer,"

"Mcclain is pretty, could've taken him down too," Rizavi giggled as kinkade raised a brow unamused at them.

"Mcclain is a skilled Paladin, I admire his work, unlike you all I know he's been the only one that's unlocked more than three weapons," kinkade told them calmly as he laid on his back with his hands behind his head.

"See, the mans all about thinking ahead, big picture right?" Griffin beamed at him and kinkade shrugged.

"Besides did you see that cut on his lip? How the fuck did he do that?" He cackled and kinkade frowned again.

He closed his eyes ignoring the others as he thought about the cut on Lances lip, and the bruise he left of his cheek. But the way lance smiled at him ignoring what must've been very painful. Lance was so focused on making him not feel guilty, he was kind...

It did bother kinkade how his team treated him, it seemed childish, yes lance was full of energy and due to his adhd maybe he was more hyper that made him seem immature. But he knew him better than that. Lance was smarter than they realized, probably more than lance realizes himself to that matter. He didn't know if lance got straight A's on tests but he knew that lance could do anything he put his mind too, that he was a quick thinker.

He hoped no one put out that spark of life in him. Kinkade loves to see his eyes light up like they did when they made eye contact during their arrival.

But when he left, lance seemed a little unsure, like they had to wave to make sure of something...

Kinkade sighed to himself, thinking of the heat of lances skin against his hand, they've touched before but their touches have never lingered for that long. That they just looked at each other that long. Long enough that kinkade could see the freckles across Lances face, saw the scar under Lances right eye brow that seemed old, how lance had no acne on his tan face, like he was kissed by the sun.

Kinkade smiled a little to himself. He's never been one to think like this... he's never... hes never had the need to speak to someone that's not his family as much as he talks to lance. But he didn't not like it.

"Yooooo kinkade, you still alive?" Griffin poked his head as kinkade opened his eyes and sent him a glare.

"You were right, he was sleeping," James hissed with regret as kinkade rolled into his side with his back to his friends.