Cold shoulder

Lance sat in Veronica's cabin as she was making dinner and let her little brother stay around for the food when he knocked on her door and explained what happened.

He listened to the radio with his hoodie against his nose, he put his phone on silent but told Shiro and Ryan that he was with his sister.

He didn't want to go back to the paladins but he didn't want to go back to Ryan yet. He just wanted some time to himself to just breath alone. He said some things he'll regret in the future.

He just didn't feel like he belonged with voltron anymore. Maybe hunk had a point back when they were stranded in space... let someone else continue the Paladin legacy, let them have the spotlight.

No, no lance loved the adrenaline, he loved the action and the battles when it wasn't life threatening. To save peoples lives and see how happy they are free. He loved behind a Paladin, but he just didn't feel wanted from his team.

Fuck he felt so pathetic always getting so emotional and running away. It happens way to often for the others not to get annoyed or see through him at this point.

He was just so tired of everything the worlds come too. He missed the beginning and the thrills. It just felt burnt out now... or maybe that's just part of war . It was still war.

-

Veronica saw Lance sleeping on her couch and set a blanket over her baby, she could see how distressed lance was earlier even if he was silent he was overwhelmed. She grabbed his phone and plugged it on a charger as he was in a fetal position with his arms curled to his chest and his hood over his ears.

Even if he was taller than her now she still saw him as the baby she looked after most of his life. Him and Rachel she looked after when she still lived at home. She remembered he was the first one to go after her when their mother found out she was a lesbian, he brought her a blanket and snacks and let her cry in his shoulder. Lance was a people pleaser, he never wanted to be the reason of their pain. He never wanted conflict but he was so exhausted.

She heard a knock at the door and shook her head to go turn off the stove from her cooking.

Veronica opened the door and saw lances team, except Shiro and kinkade who knew that lance was with her to get space.

"No," Veronica glared at Allura and closed the door.

"Miss Veronica please?" Hunk knocked on the door worried.

"Guys look, I don't think you should be coming around here," Veronica opened the door with a glare and closed it behind her so Lance could sleep.

"And you need to stay away from my family," she pointed at Allura harshly.

"Veronica I came to apologize," Allura gulped a little.

"No your not actually sorry, you don't get to apologize for being shitty to my family and ruining it because you feel bad for yourself not Lance," Veronica snapped at her.

"No your right, what Allura did was shitty and fucked up, we haven't been a supportive team for lance, an apology won't be enough," Keith stepped between them as he felt guilty as well.

"Then why are You here?" She scoffed.

"I brought lance garlic knots," hunk offered a container of the bread.

"I helped," Pidge smiled hopeful.

"I'm making sure nothing gets out of hand," Keith crossed his arms.

"I wanted to talk to lance for everything, I need to apologize," Allura pleaded a little but Keith rolled his eyes and hunk looked annoyed.

"You don't get to, no, you leave him alone and if I hear you go near my mother again to tattle about my brothers relationships that's none of your business I'll make sure you won't find earth as a new home," Veronica got into Alluras face with a sneer.

"And you stay away from Ryan, he's family too," she nodded.

"I didn't mean it to be so vicious, I don't understand the earth relationships and how-" "that's not an excuse, mind your business and if lance talks to you then you let him come to you,"

"Leave him alone, you've said enough," Veronica whispered down at Allura coldly.

"Tell him I'm sorry, I took it to far," Allura whimpered staring up at the eldest sister in fear.

Veronica glared at her but went back into her cabin and locked the door behind her. She felt rage in her chest that made her shake, she was so pissed she needed to take deep breaths and looked over at lance who was still very much asleep.

She saw lances phone was buzzing from a few texts and peaked over curiously hoping it wasn't Allura bothering him still.

Amore: hope your buddy hunk got you some snacks

Amore: I'm here whenever you want to talk

Amore: I love you, take care of yourself darling, drink water

Veronica couldn't help but smile at how worried Ryan was for his boyfriend, he seemed so supportive too. In a time like this they needed support, Lance was lucky to have someone like Ryan. She knew Ryan was a good guy from the beginning.

She saw Shiro texted lance as well, nothing to important just if lance needed him for anything his door would be open. A good leader. She was grateful there was more people looking after lance for her, he was a people pleaser so even if some people gave him a hard time he had others to be able to go to.

"Lance," she whispered shaking him a little and he mumbled back tiredly.

"Wake up, I got food," Veronica smiled and he opened his eyes.

"I don't wanna get up," lance groaned.

"You doing okay?" She sat on the ground to be eye level with her brother.

"I'm tired, like depressed tired," he whispered keeping his hood up and pushed his face more into the pillow.

"That's more of a sign for you to get up then, move around," Veronica smiled sadly as she placed her hand on his head and rubbed his her thumb at his temple.

"I don't want to be a Paladin anymore," lance closed his eyes again.

"I don't think you can get out of it yet," she sighed.

"I'm just tired of being so anxious around them and I don't think Keith or Allura like me as a person, which sucks cause I thought Keith and I were actually friends, like real friends not just teammates," lance felt tears in his eyes so he kept them close so his sister didn't see.

"I don't think people actually like me V, I think I'm just convenient for their use," he rasped and sniffled a little as he failed not crying.

"Ryan likes you, hunk and Pidge, James, Rizavi and Ida," Veronica kept combing his hair back seeing the tears slowly fall down his face.

"Shiro, Coran, me?" She smiled again and he smiled a little at that.

"They only like me because I agree with them and stay optimistic, no one likes me when I'm pessimistic," he sighed.

"I've learned to love that about you," she teased. "And everyone's a little negative, it's okay,"

Lance covered his face with his sleeves covering his hand, he rubbed his face and pulled his hood down more. He didn't respond.

Veronica moved the top of his hood to the side and kissed the side of his head, rubbing his shoulder kindly.

"Please get up soon for dinner, I'll be back soon, I'm going to shower before dinner, you should too after dinner when the water heats up again, take a bath, I have a face mask I think you'll like," Veronica whispered softly giving him a small squeeze before getting up to leave him alone.

"Thanks v," she heard her brother behind her mutter.

"Any time," Veronica smiled a little going to her bathroom and closed the door.