Chapter 4

It's a quarter to two when Niall finally arrived at Payne Enterprise, greatly relieved that his not late he walks into the enormous - and frankly intimidating - glass, steel, and white sandstone lobby.

Behind the solid sandstone desk, a very attractive, groomed, blonde young woman smiles pleasantly him. She’s wearing the sharpest charcoal suit jacket and white shirt Niall has ever seen. she looks immaculate.

"I'm here to see Mr. Payne. I’m Niall Horan"

"Excuse me one moment, Mr. Horan” She arches her eyebrow slightly at Niall, who is stood behind her.  Niall runs his hands through his hair to calm down his nerves.

"Alright Mr. Horan just go to the last elevator on the right, press for the twentieth floor." She smiles kindly at Niall.

Niall thanks her before he starts to walk over to the bank of elevators past the two security men who are both far more smartly dressed than Niall is in their well-cut black suits.

The elevator whisks Niall with terminal velocity to the twentieth floor. The doors slide open, and Niall is in another large lobby - again all glass, steel, and white sandstone. He is confronted by another desk of sandstone and another young blonde woman dressed impeccably in black and white who rises to greet him.

"Mr. Horan, could you wait here, please?" She points to a seated area of white leather chairs.

Behind the leather chairs is a spacious glass-walled meeting room with an equally spacious dark wood table and at least twenty matching chairs around it. Niall takes a sit and waits patiently until he is called again. Another elegant, flawlessly dressed blonde comes out of a large door to the right

"Mr. Horan?" the latest blonde asks.

"Yes," Niall croaks, and he clears his throat. "Yes."

"Mr. Payne will see you now”

Niall nods at the blonde and makes his way to the partially opened doors, he pushes the door and his mouth almost drops open. The office is way too big for one person alone.

In front of the floor-to-ceiling windows, there's a huge modern dark-wood desk that six people could comfortably eat around. It matches the coffee table by the couch. Everything else is white - ceiling, floors, and walls except, on the wall by the door, where a mosaic of small paintings hang, thirty-six of them arranged in a square. They are exquisite - a series of mundane, forgotten objects painted in such precise detail they look like photographs. Displayed together, they are breathtaking.

“I didn’t think you would take the internship Mr. Horan” Liam says, breaking Niall out of his thoughts. When Niall turns his head and his breath catches in his throat at the sight of Liam.

“I do find it quiet odd, how you’re all of a sudden speechless when you had quite an opinion about me yesterday” Liam says, and Niall can see the smirk playing on his lips, it’s like he knows what affect he has on Niall.

“The beauty of these paintings has made me speechless” Niall murmurs, distracted both by Liam and the paintings.

“Is it only the painting’s beauty, that’s making you speechless Mr. Horan?” Liam asks, stepping towards Niall a little.

“I think you should be a bit more professional Mr. Payne” Niall says, breaking their eye contacting and stepping away from Liam.

“I am being professional, I’m just asking a question” Liam says.

“Then to answer your question Mr. Payne, the only beauty in this room are these paintings” Niall lies. Liam wants to frown at him but he keeps his face blank clear of any emotion.

 “Alright” he says staring intensely into Niall’s ocean blue eyes , Niall breaks the quick moment of silence by speaking.

“What exactly is my job as an intern Mr. Payne?”

“Just do as I say and we’ll be fine, Mr. Horan” Liam says and Niall can’t help but think his words have another meaning to them. He frowns at Liam but nods anyway his about to speak again when there’s a knock at the door and one of the blonde women enters.

“Mr. Payne, forgive me for interrupting but Mr. Tomlinson is here to see you”

“Okay Andrea, take Mr. Horan with you and show him around” Liam says “I’m sorry to end this short but business call’s” Liam continues,

“It’s fine, you’re a busy man Mr. Payne” Niall says standing up and following Andrea out of the room.

The doors close but open once again when Louis Tomlinson enters the room, “You know Liam, it’s rude to kick someone out of your room when you’re just about to fuck them”

“What do you want Louis?” Liam says his voice full of venom.

“I want to talk about this” Louis says pulling out thick stacks of papers and placing them neatly in front of Liam. “You didn’t think I forgot our little arrangement Liam, did you?”

“It wasn’t an arrangement because nothing was ever signed” Liam says flipping to the second to last page where all contracts have the most important information and seeing that he didn’t sign. “Now can you please leave, and this is the only time I’m asking nicely”

“I’m not leaving until I get my pay Liam, you’re not just going to use my body and leave like I’m left over pieces, hell to the mother fucking no, I will drag you down until I get my pay” Louis threatens, his nose flaring.

Liam stands up from his seat slowly “No” Liam’s voice is sharp and jagged, cruel knife sending waves of fear throughout Louis body “You want to come into my company and demand that I pay you? You never signed the contract Louis, you weren’t officially my sub, you were just a cheap whore that was willing to open his legs for anyone. And what gives you the right to think that you can barge into my fucking company and threaten me? Do you know who I am Louis? I can destroy your whole life in a blink of an eye, so don’t fucking test me. Now I won’t ask again leave and I don’t want to see you here again”

Louis does as he’s told and leaves.