Chapter 6

The drive to Niall’s flat is silent, Liam’s gaze stuck on the road while Niall is stuck in his thoughts, Liam’s last words running through his head.

“I’m not the man for you Niall”

He doesn’t understand why Liam’s words get to him so much and he doesn’t understand his sudden want for him.

Niall’s thoughts are interrupted when the music playing stops and the sound of a cell phone ringing over the MP3 speakers. Liam hits a button on the steering wheel.

"Payne," he snaps. Niall can’t help but think he's so brusque.

"Mr. Payne, its Welch here. I have the information you require." A rasping, disembodied voice comes over the speakers.

"Good. Email it to me. Anything to add?"

"No sir."

Liam presses the button, then the call ceases and the music is back. No goodbye or thanks.

Niall shudders at his coldness towards his employees and wonders if that’s how Liam will treat him. The music cuts off again for the phone.

“Payne"

"The NDA has been emailed to you, Mr. Payne." A woman's voice.

"Good. That's all, Andrea."

"Good day, sir."

Liam hangs up by pressing a button on the steering wheel.

“You could’ve at least said goodbye” Niall mutters under his breath and he immediately regrets it when Liam stares at him with an intense look.

“You really can’t keep your opinion to yourself, can you?” Liam says and Niall can see his lips twitching upwards a little. 

“No, it’s one of many traits I got from my mother” Niall says, looking over at Liam who is looking at him and has a small smile on his face.

“I like that” He says before turning his gaze back onto the road. Niall has to bite his lip to hold back a grin.

The car goes back into silence again; the only time they spoke again was when Liam asked Niall for directions to his flat.  Liam frowns at him when Niall tells him the direction because the way to his flat is a familiar route to Liam.

“You live here?” Liam asks when they finally pull up to his flat.

“Yes” Niall says “I live with my best friends Louis and his boyfriend Zayn”

Liam has to tell himself to keep calm because it could be a different Louis and Zayn but he knows it’s not because his been inside this flat.

“Do you want to come in?” Niall asks as he steps out the car, Liam thinks for a moment weighing the pros and cons of going inside but in the end decides to go in.

Louis and Zayn are lying on the couch in a middle of a make out session when Liam and Niall arrive in the living area.  They break apart when Niall clears his throat.

“Oh hey Ni-“ Zayn sentence is cut off when he see’s Liam standing next to Niall, he’s about to say something vicious to him but remembers that Niall doesn’t know that they know each other or their past.

“Oh shit Niall is that Liam Payne” Louis squeals and Liam has to hold back the urge to roll his eyes at Louis because he knows his just acting.

“Hi” Liam says forcing a smile, he almost feels like vomiting at his sweet tone towards Louis and Zayn because they don’t deserve his kindness.