Chapter 34

Liam wakes up in the middle of the night, panting and clutching at the blankets. It's not the first time this has happened, but it's the first time in a while. That he'd closed his eyes and drifted back to the same nightmare that's been haunting him for years. He doesn't even consciously think about anymore, all that often at least. It's definitely the first time he's done it since he's been sleeping with Niall.

It's not even accurate, the nightmare. It's the same thing just repeating itself over and over again.

"Love is weakness, Liam. It's only a tool your enemies can use against you. You must understand that." His father looked down at him.

"But surely you love our mother. You have to." Liam responded.

His father stared at him with his cold, dark eyes.

"Sweetheart, come here." He said, not taking those eyes off of Liam.

Liam's mother approached. Her beautiful blonde hair was piled up on her head, her eyes sparkled as she looked at Liam. She loved him, Liam could tell.

"Yes, darling?" She asked, gently stroking Liam's father's cheek. Finally he took his gaze off of Liam, and instead looked at his mother.

He took her chin in his hands, and she looked adoringly up at him. And then, he snapped her neck. Her head came off of her shoulders, her body fell to the ground. Blood gushed out of her neck, her skin went gray. Her eyes were still open...

Liam didn't move. He couldn't move. He dropped her head, now severed from her body. There was so much blood...

"Love is weakness, Liam. I will teach that to you, if I have to destroy everything"

And then he woke up.

He wipes at his forehead, and his hand comes away slick with sweat. Without thinking, he traces the scars on his chest. He's still breathing heavy, and he notices the way his hands are shaking.

He's pathetic, he knows it. It shouldn't still be bothering him. What he dreams of has never happened and there will never be an incident like that. Never ever. He should get over it. It isn't much of a big deal. It definitely shouldn't be waking him up in the middle of the night the way it is.

Someone makes a sound beside him and Liam startles before he realizes it's Niall. It's too dark in the room for him to see anything, really, but he feels Niall sit up, knows he's awake.

"What's wrong?" he asks. "I can feel you trembling."

Liam takes a breath and forces himself to relax. Focuses on stilling his hands and his body. He takes another breath, holds it, and releases it a beat later. "I'm fine, it's nothing. Bad dream."

Niall settles back down beside him, and Liam makes himself do the same, acting like he's completely fine because he is. He's overreacting, that's all. Being ridiculous.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" Niall asks a little while later.

He thought Niall had fallen back asleep, but apparently he's just as awake as Liam, who's been staring up at the ceiling for the last few minutes, trying to build up enough confidence to close his eyes and fall back asleep, but it's hard when he knows that he could get sucked into that loop again, play that scene out in his mind over and over again. No matter how many times it changes, no matter how many different variations there is, it always end the same. His mothers neck snapped by his father, laying on the ground, headless completely lifeless. He hates it.

And he doesn't want to talk about it, doesn't want to admit out loud how much of a bitch he's being about this. If it were anyone else, he would have brushed the question off, said no and pretended to be asleep again. But it's Niall, and it's Niall's arm around his waist, and Liam finds himself nodding, even if he can't see it.

"It's just a dream that I've had for a while now" he starts.

"I know, you wake up a lot at night" Niall says, Liam frowns at that because he didn't think Niall had noticed.

"I've been having the same dream for years now. It just repeats itself over and over again" Liam says and Niall wants to ask him what it is but doesn't want to push Liam. His finally opening a bit of himself up to Niall and Niall doesn't want to push him incase it causes Liam to shut him out.

"Im sorry"Niall says not knowing what to say because he doesn't exactly know what Liam's constant nightmare is about. Liam feels Niall searching around the bed until he finds Liam's hand, and he squeezes it tightly. "You shouldn't have to dream about things like that"

Liam smiles a little at him even if Niall can't see it but soon frowns "it's not something I want to dream about all the time it just happens. Sometimes it feels too real" His breathing sounds ragged, even to his own ears. "I know I'm being stupid, but I can't help it."

"You're not stupid," Niall says firmly. "You're not." He brings Liam's hand up to his lips. "You know that yeah?"

Liam nods, remembers Niall can't see it, and adds, "Yeah"

Niall releases his hand. Liam makes an upset noise, trying to find it again in the dark, but Niall's straddling him before he can. He's a heavy weight, settling just on his hips, solid and warm. He's got both his hands splayed beside Liam's head, and he leans down, teasingly close to Liam's lips, close enough that Liam can feel his breath on his skin.

"Whatever it is that's bothering you," Niall says "I'll always be here, no matter what it is. You can tell me"

Liam feels choked up all of a sudden, and it has nothing to do with the heavy body sitting on top of his own. "Niall.."

"I mean it," Niall says. "You can tell me anything"

And just like that, Liam feels better. Not completely, not one hundred percent, but better. "I'll hold you to that," he says.

"You better. I mean it." He says, finally kissing Liam. "Now bed"

Liam kisses him one more time before Niall rolls off him.

Niall curls up against him this time, his head pillowed on Liam's chest, his arm and legs wrapped possessively around Liam's body. Liam knows he means it, knows without any doubt that Niall would always be there for him and wouldn't leave him if Liam told him all the things that haunt him. But he can't because no matter how many times Niall assures him that he'll never leave him, Liam knows that if he was to spill every single bad thing his done. Niall wouldn't hesitate to leave him and Liam himself wouldn't stop him.

Niall thinks he knows Liam well enough but there's many things that Niall has yet to learn about Liam Payne. And Liam would like to keep it that way.

So a little peep of what is to come. Comment what you think is coming.