16

Chapter Sixteen:
____________________________________________

"No one man should have all that power,
The clock's ticking', I just count the hours.
Stop tripping', I'm tripping' off the power"

"Eirene, I can explain." Angelo began to speak but she ignored him and turned to Aegeus.

"Did you know?" She inquired.

He looked away from her and she pulled away from the both of them.

"You all lied to me." She whispered.

I frowned at her obliviousness.

"You weren't meant to find out." Angelo muttered.

She turned around with a deep frown etched on her face and walked out of the living room.

I was about to grab her hand and stop her but she moved her arm away before I could even touch it.

"Why the fuck did you have to mention that?" Angelo snapped.

"What the fuck do you mean by that? Didn't she already know?" I asked.

"She didn't. Why did you think we kept her hidden? Have you seen her? She's not one of us. She's the kind of light our world drowns out." He retorted.

My jaw locked and I glanced away briefly as my brain processed his words.

He was absolutely right.

She indeed was different from us. She was meant to be protected at all costs.

"I'll check up on her." Aegeus announced.

"First room to your left." I told him.

Angelo sighed and sat down on the couch with his head in his hands.

"I didn't know that she was kept in the dark." I spoke when I saw his distressed state.

"Darius, I'm gonna be very honest with you and you'll probably hear this from me for this once only. I love my sister a lot and I made sure she knows it. After Aegeus left for the army, I never once let her feel left out. Ever since she came to live with us, I had created a protective bubble around her and I would hate if she ever has to get out of it. I know the underworld, I request you to keep her as far away as possible."

I frowned, "What do you mean by 'when she came to live with you?'"

"It's not my story to tell. When she trusts you enough, you'll know." He answered.

"She got a job." I told.

"I'm aware."

I raised a brow and he continued, "My security follows wherever she goes. I didn't interfere because I know how much she wants to pursue her dream."