49

Chapter Forty Nine:
____________________________________________

"There must be something in the water,
'Cause everyday it's getting colder.
And if only I could hold you,
You'd keep my head from going under."

“W-What?” I asked, utterly shocked

“Yes, but you don’t have to worry too much about it. Concussions causes memory loss but it’s temporary. It lasts for hours and in some cases, for days. Being surrounded by family and friends can help the patient remember, faster. Besides, he will only forget about the accident that took place.” He elaborated.

I closed my eyes in relief and finally let out a breath, “So, it’s temporary?”

“Yes. And, there’s one more thing I should have told you before.” He added with a solemn look on his face.

I pursed my lips, the momentary relief vanishing, “What else?”

“Your brother was drunk out of his wits. This was a police case but your brother’s no ordinary man so we took care of it.”
My eyes widened as soon as he finished speaking,

“What? Are you sure?” I asked, anxiously.

“A hundred percent.” He replied.

My ears could not believe it. Angelo would never drink more than he could handle, let alone do drunk driving.

Nonetheless, I nodded my head and said, “Thank you, doctor.”

“It’s my duty.” With that, he excused himself from there.

“Ms. Eirene, please sit down.” George spoke in a firm tone but I could detect a tinge of underlying concern.

“I’m fine.” I said to him.

I was far from fine.

What on the God’s green earth was happening?

I had not expected this level of irresponsibility from Angelo. He had always been a practical person, he liked to do things in a certain manner.

Then what was the reason behind his reckless behavior tonight?

I suddenly remembered what the doctor had said and dialed Helena’s number.

He needed to be surrounded with the people he knew.

She picked up after a few rings, her voice groggy, “Hello? Eirene? Is everything alright?”

I nearly sobbed but held myself back, “Helena, it’s about Angelo. He’s in the hospital.”

“WHAT?!” She shouted.

“Can you please come? He needs to be around his family. He los-“

“Eirene.” Helena sighed from the other end. “We broke up.”