17

Chapter Seventeen:
____________________________________________

"Because when I'm in a room with you
That missing piece is found.
You know when you're by my side, darling
Nothing can bring us down.
It's like when you're far away from me
I get lost in the crowd.
Because when I'm in a room with you
That missing piece is found."

Betrayal

Betrayal.

Deceit.

Lies.

Secrets.

Distrust.

These were the few words that were playing in my head like a broken record since the moment I left those three men standing in the living room.

I knew that my brother and father were involved in some shady business but I did not know the extent of it.

Strip clubs and illegal drugs?

Were the girls taken against their will? Were they being forced to strip for a few bucks?

I sat on the floor near the window as I heard the voices coming downstairs. Tears pooled in my eyes as I realized how naïve I was.

I felt like a fool in that moment, I didn't even know about my own family.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts and I whipped my head around in hurry to see Aegeus stood on the threshold.

"Lea." He called me softly by the nick name Angelo and he gave me when we were kids.

I turned my back to him and fixed my gaze on the view outside the window.

A moment later, I felt him sit beside me on the floor as he faced ahead and spoke, "Lea, Λυπάμαι. Απλώς σε προστατεύαμε."

(I am sorry. We were just protecting you)

"Από τι?" I asked in exasperation as I turned to look at him.

(From what?)

He sighed loudly and tilted his torso in my direction, "Είστε πολύ αγνοί για αυτόν τον κόσμο."

(You are too pure for this world)

I exhaled a puff of air in frustration and swiped a hand on my wet cheeks, "Σως έπρεπε να είχα πεθάνει όταν είχα την ευκαιρία."

(Maybe I should have died when I had a chance)

He took one of my hands in his and smiled sadly, "It's easy for you to say this but it hurt me."

And just like that, I felt guilty for making my brother upset so I leaned forward and hugged him.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you." I whispered.