43

Chapter Forty Three:
____________________________________________

"Ain't nobody else make me feel like the world can wait.
Oh, nothin' else matters but your skin on me.
Baby, you are the answer.
When the world is tryna take my pride,
You're the only one that gives me life.
Make me say, I'ma be okay."

"Even if I learn this, I hope you know that I am never using this

"Even if I learn this, I hope you know that I am never using this... thing." I said eyeing the small handgun in my hand.

I heard a sigh from beside and moved my head to look at my fiancé, "It has ruined the lives of people around me, Darius. You know it yet you insist that I learn how to shoot." I added in a much quieter tone of voice.

He raised his hand to caress the side of my neck with his knuckles and said, "I am aware of that," He paused and looked into my eyes.

"But I can't take any more risks when it comes to you. It's just for your safety. I am not saying that you use it, every chance you get. Just keep it with you wherever you go." He tried to reason but I shook my head.

"You d-"

"I need to make sure you're safe if and when I am not around." He said, cutting me off.

My shoulders slumped in defeat as I understood his logic and nodded my head, "Okay."

"Good. Let's begin?" He asked and tilted my body towards the shooting range that was in front of us.

Last night after coming back from the mall, Darius had somehow managed to convince me to visit this shooting range with him.

And though I was skeptical, still am, I agreed because he can be extremely persuasive when he wants to be.

We had arrived here fifteen minutes ago and that was when he broke the news to me; I will be learning how to use a gun to protect myself in emergency circumstances.

He owned this place and I had seen a lot of his workers bustling in the garage next to it.

Darius walked away to a cupboard that stretched across the wall and pulled it open before grabbing a few things out of it and shutting it close again.

I saw earmuffs and safety glasses clutched in his left hand and when he was at an arm's length, he beckoned me closer with his finger.

When I was stood right in front of him, he put those weird safety glasses on my eyes and I had to blink a few times to adjust my vision.

"What are these for?" I inquired.

"It's just an extra precautionary measure. They basically prevent your eyes from unfortunate accidents like the gun powder blowing in your eyes and also because they help you focus on the target, better." He explained and started to put on the muffs.