26

Chapter Twenty Six:
____________________________________________

"Moments fall like crimson nights,
Some stick to my skin tonight.
Take a breath and shake them off,
Eyes ahead, don't you wait too long."

I stood behind the chair Darius was seated in as he conversed with James, Carlyle, and Alec

I stood behind the chair Darius was seated in as he conversed with James, Carlyle, and Alec. It has been two days since he received the pictures of the two corpses and yesterday, he got a call from a hospital telling him that the dead bodies were placed in their morgue.

The car that Layla and Sarah used to travel in was provided by Darius and someone had planted a bomb in it. Obviously, somebody had been present at the crime scene prior to the arrival of the rescue van hence the pictures.

I did not have the heart to go and see the dead bodies at the hospital but from what I had heard, they both were unrecognizable. Their funeral was held today, early in the morning.

Even though I hadn't spent much time with both of them, my heart still felt torn. Layla was the closest thing I had to a mother because of her welcoming nature and warm heart and Sarah, she was simply a sweetheart.

I still can't believe that they are gone.

I wish I hadn't convinced Darius to give them an off.

I know that everything happens for a reason but I couldn't shake off the slight guilt that constantly tugged at my insides.

"It's Melvin's doing." Carlyle stated, bringing me out of my reverie.

"Of course, it's him. The fucker had the audacity to come to the funeral even though nobody knew or was even invited." James seethed in anger.

"I still can't believe it." Alec whispered to no one in particular.

A heavy silence hung in the air as they all looked expectantly at Darius waiting for him to say something but he sat, lost in his own thoughts as he stared at his study desk, blankly.

This is how he has been for the past two days. It was hard for him to wrap his head around the fact that the woman he adored so much was no more.

Everybody has their own way of grieving but Darius' silence scared me. He had never been this quiet and I could only pray that it was not the silence before a storm.

Gently, I squeezed his shoulders and his head whipped to the side as he glanced at me from his peripheral vision before turning to face the men.

"I need his wife and children at the warehouse by tonight. He has a brother and an uncle who lives in Greece, look for their addresses and take them, as well. Anyone who's close to him, friend or relative, bring them to me." He commanded in a distant tone of voice.

My eyes widened as I processed his words and looked at Carlyle to see him staring directly at me. He shook his head in negative, gesturing me to not speak at the moment.