60

Chapter Sixty:

____________________________________________

"A broken heart is all that's left
I'm still fixing all the cracks
Lost a couple of pieces when
I carried it, carried it, carried it home
I'm afraid of all I am
My mind feels like a foreign land
Silence ringing inside my head
Please carry me, carry me, carry me home."

Eirene's POV

I took out the pancake mix from the cabinet and poured some of it in the bowl before placing the packet back in the cabinet and closing it.

As I was busy mixing it, my phone rang and I turned around to find it lying on the counter behind me. Leaving the beater, I picked up my phone and answered the call.

“Hey.” I greeted.

“Hello Eirene, how have you been?”

I smiled sadly and shook my head, “Just fine, I guess. How are you?”

“I’m good. Are you free in the afternoon?”

I frowned a bit at the sudden question, “Uh, yes?”

“Great. I’ll see you at Ottepel’ around 1?”

I checked the time on my phone to see that it was half past eight and sighed softly, “Sure, I’ll see you.”

After saying goodbye, I hung up the phone and got back to making breakfast for myself.

I had to log in for work at sharp nine.

I quickly ate my breakfast and blow dried my hair afterwards. My phone, once again, rang and I saw that it was Penelope, my boss, who was video calling me.

“Hey, is everything alright?” I asked because she usually does not do video calls.

“Yes!” She screeched.

I hissed and she bit her tongue, “Sorry, I got way too excited.” She apologized sheepishly.

I shook my head, “It’s alright.”

“Anyways, I have to tell you so- wait, have you lost weight?” She narrowed her eyes on me in question.

“No.” I answered.

“Yes, you have. Look at you, you look so weak.” She said in concern.

I sighed softly, “I’m fine.”

She kept looking at me in silence before finally deciding to let go of the situation, “Okay, anyways, I called you to give you some good news. No, actually, scratch that, A GREAT NEWS!”

I smiled slightly, seeing her this excited was rare, so it must be something really big.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Remember that investigative story you covered on the Brazilian crime rate and mafias?” She asked.

I nodded my head, uncertain as to where this was going, “Yeah?”

She grinned, “Well, guess what? Your story was so fuckin’ lit that it was nominated for Pulitzer.”

My eyes widened in surprise, “W-What?”

“YES!” She chuckled and couldn’t help but laugh a little, as well.

“I can’t believe it.” I said to her.

“I can. Because, you deserve it. It took you months and look, your hard work paid off.” She replied.

I smiled in gratitude, “That’s really kind of you. Thank you, Penelope, for your constant support.”