31

Chapter Thirty One:
____________________________________________

"After the war is won,
There's always the next one.
I'm not bullet proof when it comes to you."

"I could have killed you for what you made her do

"I could have killed you for what you made her do." I commented while rubbing Eirene's knuckles as she slept peacefully.

"But, you didn't." Her smartass twin retorted.

My jaw clenched, "Yet."

"You wouldn't do that to me in the future, either." He smirked and nodded his head towards Eirene. "Because of her."

"Stop hiding behind your sister's skirt. Don't think that I am incapable of harming you just because I-" I stopped mid-sentence as soon as I realized what I was about to say.

"Just because you love her?" Aegeus supplied and tilted his head to the side, a trait both the siblings shared.

I let my face relax back into the mask of indifference as I stared at him, not uttering a word.

He scoffed loudly, "You're gonna pretend like you weren't going to say that?"

"I ain't pretending shit in front of you." I spat. "You came to my office, apologized, told me I am good for her and we fuckin' moved on. And then you had the audacity to pull a stunt like that?" I questioned, calmly.

"I wanted to see it. See how far would you go for her." He shrugged.

"You gave her a panic attack!" I nearly lost my shit but one glance at Eirene, and I was fine.

He chuckled, a genuine smile spread across his face, "Your words did."

"Yeah, put it all on me, you asshole." I rolled my eyes.

"I am truly sorry, Darius. You know what we went through half of our lives, you can't blame me for doing that. I won't be back for a very long time, now, I just needed to know my sister is safe and loved. She's all I have." He told in a much softer tone.

"I know. You don't have to worry. I won't let anything bad happen to her." I reassured.

"Of course, you wouldn't. You love her." He smirked.

I shut my eyes in annoyance, "You're getting on my nerves."

He only chuckled in response.

We had brought Eirene back home after she passed out and Aegeus had come early in the morning because he wanted to bid her goodbye.

Eirene stirred a little before finally opening her eyes and looking around the dimly lit room. I poured her a glass of water as she sat up, eyeing the two of us in a mixture of uncertainty and disappointment.

"Don't worry, we're good." Aegeus smiled at her.

"That's what you said last time." She replied in distaste and took the glass from my hand before taking small sips.