25

Chapter Twenty Five:
____________________________________________

"Oh, 'cause they will run you down, down 'til the dark.
Yes and they will run you down, down 'til you fall.
And they will run you down, down 'til you go,
Yeah, so you can't crawl no more."

I had just stepped out of my car when my phone rang so I took it out of my pocket and saw an unknown number calling me

I picked it up, “What?” I asked in distaste.

My jet landed an hour ago and I was fuckin’ sleep deprived since two days. The last thing I wanted was to attend a goddamn call.

“You can’t threaten my family.” A familiar voice gritted out from the other end.

I scoffed inwardly before replying, “I can do that and much more. Besides, it was a fair warning and not a threat.”

“I won, fair and square.” He said and I detected a hint of smugness behind it.

“Fair and square, huh?” I asked while entering the house.

It was quiet and dark.

My eyes went to the wall clock hung in the foyer and it was four thirty in the morning.

“You bought votes, Cavanagh. Step down and let my man take over or else there will be consequences.” I told while taking my suit jacket off.

“You’re threatening me, again.” He chuckled out

“Not really. From where I am standing, it’s foreshadowing.” I retorted.

“You can’t get away with it.’ He replied, the tone getting serious.

“I can get away with anything and everything.” I paused and checked the bedroom downstairs to see it still empty.

Layla still hasn’t come back. Some nights, she stays here especially after coming back from a holiday.

“Anyways, stop wasting my time and do as I say.” I added and was about to hand up when his seething voice came echoing through the speaker.

“Or what?”

“You’ll end up dead but before that, I will kill your family and make you watch.” I retorted, coldly, and hung up.

Motherfucker.

I sighed and massaged my temples as I felt a slight headache forming at the back of my head. I had called Ajax last night and told him to email me all the important documents because I will be working from home today.

My feet, as if having a mind of their own, stopped right outside Eirene’s bedroom and I quietly twisted the knob.

Empty.

Her bed was neatly made as if no one has slept in it and I frowned. I quickly checked the bathroom and the closet but she was not there either.

She would have told me if she was going somewhere. The last message I received from her was that she was going to sleep after watching a movie with Alec and Anna.