59

Chapter Fifty-Nine:

____________________________________________

"I think I've seen this film before
And I didn't like the ending
You're not my homeland anymore
So what am I defending now?
You were my town
Now I'm in exile, seein' you out
I think I've seen this film before
So I'm leavin' out the side door."

“Why didn’t you come earlier?” Alec inquired as he hugged me tightly.

I pursed my lips in pain. He didn’t know that I was bruised, so I pulled away from him, “What happened?”

“He’s losing a lot of blood. He was unconscious for two days, but then he woke up this morning for a few minutes and that’s when shit went down.”

I frowned, “What do you mean?”

“His vitals dropped all of a sudden. His stress levels were high, maybe that’s why. He was asking for you, Eirene. Why weren’t you here?” He ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

I swallowed, my heart beat racing in anxiousness, “I’m sorry.”

“I- what happened to you?” He asked, all of a sudden.

I finally met his eyes to see him eyeing my shoulder in worry, “Were you hurt?” He asked.

After a brief pause, I heard his stone cold voice, “Who did this?”

“The person who shot your brother.” I told him, truthfully.

His eyes narrowed, “Christopher Petrakis. THAT FUCKIN’ BASTARD. I WILL KILL HIM!” He roared in anger.

I closed my eyes and released a sigh, “You don’t have to.”

“What?” He whisper-asked.

“I already did.” I told him.

He froze as he stared at me, unblinking and speechless.

“Please, take me to his room.” I requested.

Mindlessly, he nodded his head and turned around to walk in the opposite direction. I followed quietly behind him.

I figured that there were a thousand thoughts running through his head, at that very moment, so it was better to not speak.

A few seconds later, we both stood in the waiting area. I saw him whole family sitting there, waiting for the doctor to come out of the operation theatre and tell them that he’s fine.

Once again, I felt guilt consuming my insides.

I should have been here, too. With them.

But did I deserve to?

He was here, in the first place, because of me.

As if sensing my presence, they all looked in my direction, simultaneously. Instantly, Anna stood up and came rushing towards me.

I hissed in pain as she wrapped her arms around me, “Where were you? Why were you sick? We needed you.”

The feeling of shame mixed with guilt intensified.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered and patted her back.

“Please, be there with him. He needs you.” She cried and I blinked back my own tears as I rubbed her shoulders to calm her down.

“Eirene, you forgot your phone in the car.” Sylvia said, coming from behind.

Anna let go of me and I took my phone from Sylvia, “Thank you.”