28

Chapter Twenty Eight:
____________________________________________

"I need another story,
Something to get off my chest.
My life gets kinda boring,
Need something that I can confess.
Til' all my sleeves are stained red,
From all the truth that I've said."

I looked up at him to gauge his reaction and for the very first time since we met, I saw clear shock on his face

I licked my lips and decided to tell him my story with whatever amount of courage I have mustered.

"M-Mom used to work at a bar, as a waitress. My father fell in love with her, or so he claimed." I paused and Darius began to rub my knuckles encouraging me to continue.

"She wanted to take things slow because she was not sure in the beginning but slowly she fell for him, too. It was blissful in the beginning, she used to tell us about it like it was a fairytale. My mother used to sneak out of the house to meet him after midnight and they would go for long drives, watch sunsets, and literally anything a normal couple, who's in love, does." I smiled a little, remembering all the things that she had told us about them.

"But that all changed the night my mother found out my father's marriage." I looked up to see him frowning.

"He kept his marriage a secret and it shattered mom. She found out from one of her friends at the bar. She called him and asked him to meet her and when she confronted him, he said that he never loved his wife to begin with and that she was just a nobody who he had to marry because of his father's sake. He made her believe that she was it for him and she fell in his trap, just like that." I wiped a lone tear that had fallen out of my eye and gave him a sad smile.

"But his wife, she died of bone cancer a few months later. It was diagnosed at the very last stage so there was no use of treatment. He was utterly devastated after her death for a man who didn't love his wife." I scoffed, the memories leaving a bitter flavor in my mouth.

"And from then onwards, it all went downhill for my mother. In the beginning, he would snap at her but mom put up with him because he would always apologize later. But then he grew more aggressive, violent even. He would purposefully come to the bar where mom worked and drink more than he could stomach. It hurt her but she still took care of him until one night, he called her up in the VIP section and forced himself on her."

I hadn't realized my grip on Darius' hand had tightened until I actually felt my nails digging in his skin and drawing out blood.

I gasped and tried to pull away but he did not let me.

"It's alright. Continue." He whispered and kissed the back of both my hands.

My vision slightly blurred and I swallowed the lump forming in my throat, "Sh-Nobody came to her help. And then he left her. For months, she had no means to contact him. It's like he up a disappeared from her life. But when he found out that she now has two kids, he waltzed back into her life and forced her to marry him or else he'd kill us."