chapter 4: my partner's an idiot

I reach my hand in the box and just pray I don't draw Deku's name. I uncrumble and reluctantly read the small piece of paper.

Kaiya Miyasaki

Even worse.

"Who did you draw, young Bakugo?" All Might peers over my shoulder. "Miyasaki! Wonderful!"

"Not really," I mumble.

"What's that Bakugo?" Glitch-girl says with a smile. "You're excited to be on my team, too?"

"Shut up! That's not what I said!"

She giggles, seeming pleased with herself.

Why is she always so amused? Doesn't she know how irritating she is?

All Might put his hand on my shoulder. "Now, Bakugo. This is your teammate here! You two need to work together if you want to win."

"I'll win no matter who's on my team!" I exclaim.

"Ha!" he pats my shoulder. "That's the spirit!"

Glitch-girl lingers by my side while the other teams are being put together. "I'm actually excited to work with you, Bakugo," she says, "You have some serious skills."

"Tch." I roll my eyes. No amount of compliments can make me hate her any less.

"So it'll really show how good I am when I outshine you," she continues.

"Didn't I tell you to shut up?!" I exclaim, "Why do you always have something annoying to say?!"

"Because getting a rise out of you is so easy!" She tilts her head towards me and lowers her voice. "And you're cute when you're mad."

Wh- She's trying to mess with my head!

"Shut the hell up!" I shout.

"The villains are Team D! The heroes are Team A!" All Might bellows.

Team A. That's Deku and Round-face. I look to my left and meet eyes with Deku. He looks terrified, as he should be. I'm gonna pummel this nerd into the ground.

"The villain team goes in first!" All-Might continues, "The timer starts in 5 minutes, when the hero team sneaks in. The rest of us will watch via CCTV! Miyasaki, Bakugo. You two need to adopt a villain mindset! This is a practical experience, so go all out. Don't hold back!"

I smile. This is a perfect chance to destroy that nerd with everyone watching. I'm gonna blow him to bits. I can't wait-

"-Though I will stop you if you take things too far."

I roll my eyes with a disappointed sigh.

   ~

"It's kinda fun to pretend to be a villain. Know your enemy and all." Glitch-girl says, then knocks on the fake weapon. "So all we gotta do is guard this thing? Should be easy enough."

"Hey," I say, completely ignoring what she has to say, unable to care less. "So you think Deku has a quirk?"

"I mean I'd say so," she says with a shrug. "Did you not see how far he threw that ball? But I don't think he can handle his strength very well, it messed up his finger pretty bad."

Anger boils up inside my chest. So he's been punking me this whole time?! That damned nerd!

"You probably shouldn't charge him straight on," she adds. "He could seriously fuck you up."

Yeah, right. Like that idiot could take me on. I'm gonna attack as soon as I get the chance.

"Alright," she says, "So here's my plan: I have the best defense, because I can move as I please. I should be able to keep Deku busy downstairs, since he's the biggest threat. But we need to get all of this stuff out of the way so Uraraka can't use her quirk on you." She tilts her head. "Bakugo? Are you listening to me?"

"Yeah, whatever."

"So you understand the plan? Do you have a better idea?"

"Yes. Here's my idea. I sneak attack Deku and blow him up while you defend the weapon."

She folds her arms. "That's the opposite of what we should do," she says with a small chuckle. "You both have power quirks, so that fight would be unnecessarily explosive. I seriously think me taking on Deku is the way to go here. It's the best way to run out the clock."

"And the heroes are entering!"

I immediately take off to find Deku's sorry ass, Glitch girl can deal with it. We're doing things my way.