chapter 26: left in the dark

When I open my eyes, they're immediately seared by daylight. Somehow, the once pitch black sky is now a brilliant blue, and I feel the warmth of sunshine radiating on my skin. After my eyes have time to adjust, I can see that we're surrounded by lush green plants and trees, with flowers of bright pink and orange blooming all around. In front of us, cascades of waterfalls sparkle across the horizon as far as the eye can see. The loud rush of the water is powerful yet melodic, and sets a peaceful ambiance for the paradise. The place is absolutely breathtaking.

   I look over at Kai, who's still holding my hand, with an exhilarated smile on her beautiful face. Her ethereal looks are the perfect accompaniment to the scenery, and together, they paint a truly enchanting picture. It's at this moment that I wonder what I did to deserve to see this glimpse of pure heaven.

   "Where are we?" I ask, still in absolute awe at the scene before us.

   "Brazil."

   "How?"

   She bites her lip with an eager smile. "It's my quirk."

   "But..." I say, then look back out at the beautiful paradise in front of us. "Your limitations..."

   "I don't have any."

I take a moment to try and wrap my mind around what she just said.

No limitations?! So she can teleport across the world, just like that?!

   "This..." I watch as two colorful birds fly overhead. "This is amazing."

   "I know, right?" she says, clearly excited to be showing me such a thing.

   "Why is this a secret?" I ask.

   She sighs. "It just is."

   "Why?"

   "Please don't pry, Kitty-kat. Just enjoy it."

   It's hard, because I have so many questions as to why she would hide such a powerful quirk, but I hold my tongue.

   "Who else knows about this?" I ask.

   "Just you."

   "Not even your parents?"

   She shakes her head.

   "I'm the only one in the world?"

   "Yup."

   "Why did you tell me?"

   She shrugs. "I was tired of keeping such a big secret from everyone, it was eating me alive. I needed to show someone."

   "But why me?"

   "Why not?" she chuckles. "I just wanted you to see this. I like you."

   I can't help but feel a little special that Kai is showing me this amazing ability of hers. If I'm really the only one who knows, I'm not sure why she would trust me with such a well kept secret, considering we haven't been friends for very long. It would make much more sense for her have at least shown Kirishima, who is clearly more trustworthy, but she didn't. She chose me.

   "So," she says, beginning to smirk, "Wanna go to Dubai?"

   "Fuck yeah," I say, excitedly.

   "Okay," she says with a smile, "Lets go."

   Next thing I know, it's twilight. We're standing in front of a wide window, looking out at twinkling lights of incredibly crafted buildings shining against a dim purple sky. I've only ever seen views like this on TV; it's absolutely unreal.