chapter 23: not buying it, idiot

"I liked Lord Explosion Murder," Kai says as she sits down next to me at our lunch table. "It suits you."

"I know right? It's bullshit that I can't use it."

Kirishima slides into his seat across from us. "How's it goin, Glitch-girl?" he says to Kai with a smile.

I still can't believe Kai chose that as her hero name. It makes me feel all warm and giddy. I hate it.

"It's Glitch-girl for now, but I think I might change it to something that suits me better," she says as she fiddles with her chopsticks.

"Like what?" I say with a smirk. "Glitch-bitch?"

"Shut up! You're just mad that I got requests from more hero agencies than you did," she says, then sticks out her tongue.

"Which is bullshit!" I yell. "You got sent to the infirmary twice! That's pure weakness right there."

"The pros love a girl that can teleport," she beams.

"Who do you guys think you'll choose?" asks Kirishima. "You both got so many requests."

"I don't really know," says Kai as she rests her chin on her palm.

"I'm choosing the highest bidder," I say proudly, "The most popular hero to request me, that's where I'm going."

Kai nods. "That's what I'll do too, then."

"Hey," I say, "Don't copy me!"

"Well you two seem to be getting along," Kirishima teases. "Looks like a night in a tent together is all it took."

"You shut up!" I yell.

"Oh, come on, Kiri. You promised you wouldn't bring that up," mutters a blushing Kai.

It's a rare sight to see her cheeks get all red. I wish it happened more, it's cute to see her flustered.

Wait, what am I thinking?

Kirishima holds up his hands. "I know, I know. But you two tease each other all the time! Am I not allowed to have a little fun?"

Kai rolls her eyes. "I'm sure if I would've stumbled upon your tent it would've gone the same way."

Wait, what?

Kirishima sighs. "If only..."

Kai laughs. "Shut up!"

What the hell does she mean "it would've gone the same way"?! Is she saying that night meant nothing to her?! That she was just trying to stay warm after all?! And that she would've done the same thing no matter who's tent she came across?! My blood boils as the thought of Kai and Kirishima sleeping like we did.

I notice how tightly I'm squeezing my fists when my fingernails start digging into my palms.

Whoa, I need to chill out. She was probably just saying that to get him off our backs, right? Right?! I don't know, but now I'm pissed off.

Kirishima shakes his head. "What were you doing roaming the woods in the middle of the night, anyway?

She pauses for a moment, then smiles. "I was looking for Slenderman. I wanted to thank him for my quirk."

There's a moment of silence.

"Why were you really out there?" I ask.

She shrugs.

"And why did it take you so long after it started to rain to take shelter?" I continue.

Her smile disappears. "Why are you interrogating me?"

"I'm not. These are reasonable questions to ask."

"Well, stop."

I narrow my eyes. "What the hell are you hiding, Glitch-girl?"

"Wouldn't you like to know, Explosion-Boy?" She flashes me a spiteful look, then snaps her fingers and disappears.

Me and Kirishima exchange glances.

He sighs. "Kai doesn't like it when you grill her like that, man."

I scoff. "Yeah, I got that, idiot. But why is she like that? Why is she so secretive? It's suspicious."

"What do you mean, suspicious?"

"I don't know, there's just something off about her."

He shakes his head. "She's just weird, man."

I stare at the barely-touched tray that she left on the table. "No, it's more than that."

I don't know if it's because she's impossible to read, or if I'm just insecure, or what. But something about Kai... just doesn't add up. There's too many questions that go unanswered when it comes to her, and I don't like it.

~

After school, I notice Kai walking home.

"Hey, Glitch-girl!" I call.

She turns around. "What's up, Kitty-kat?"

I catch up to her. "Why did you choose Best Jeanist for your internship? I told you not to copy me!"

She rolls her eyes. "He was the highest ranking hero that requested me. I told you that's what I was gonna do."

"But that's who I chose."

"Then I guess I'll see you there."

"Y'know, I'm getting real sick of you following me around everywhere."

"Oh, god," she groans. "Not this again."

"What do you mean?"

"You're regressing."

"Huh?"

"Calling me Glitch-girl, asking me invasive questions, telling me to stop following you- I thought we were past this!"

I roll my eyes.

"Look, Kats." She places her hand on my shoulder.

My heart skips a beat at her touch.

"Lighten up!" she says, "We're friends now. You should be happy we're going to intern at the same agency." She pats my shoulder, flashes a cheeky smile, then skips away.

I sigh.

Well this is just fantastic. She thinks I don't want her around because she's annoying, but that's not it at all. I want to do my internship alone because it'll be impossible to focus with her around! I can barely make it through lunch period without having a nervous breakdown over my jealousy. God knows what could happen spending all day together at internship.

This is gonna be miserable.