chapter 13: nice try, idiot

"Hey, Kitty-kat!" Glitch-girl sings as she runs up the steps towards me.

She seems to be in a chipper mood. She did just kick the bellybutton guy's ass pretty bad.

"Mind if I sit here?" she asks with a smile.

I had strategically placed myself far away from everyone else so I can watch the one-on-one battles in peace. My first instinct is to say 'absolutely not, go fuck yourself', but then I remember what Kirishima said, and sigh. I guess letting sit here won't kill me.

"I don't care," I mutter. "Just don't be annoying."

"C'monnn," she says as she plops down in the seat between me and the aisle. "My life's mission is to annoy you!"

"Wh-" I frantically look over my shoulders, then back at her. "Did Kirishima say something to you?!"

She raises an eyebrow. "Uhhhh, what?"

"Um, nothing." I gulp. "So...uh... I see you're feeling better," I say, changing the subject.

"Yup. Ready for my fight with the bird." She punches her palm. "With the light from my glitching, I'll tear that guy to shreds. I'm not even worried about it."

"Yeah," I chuckle. "You took down that bellybutton guy no problem. It's like it wasn't even fair, he had no idea what hit him."

She sighs. "That fight was disappointing. Tokoyami will be way more fun..." She glances at me mischievously. "Uraraka seemed to give you a run for your money," she says with a playful nudge to my arm.

"Yeah, that fight didn't seem fair either. She really thought she did something there at the end, it was kinda sad. My fight with Kirishima oughta be good, though."

"Ah, yes. It'll make me sad to see my two buddies trying to kill each other, but it will be pretty entertaining."

There she goes calling me her buddy. Is that, like, sarcasm? Or does she seriously so delusional that she actually thinks I'm her friend? After what Kirishima said, it's seeming more and more like the latter. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've never even gotten close to considering her a friend, just a nuisance.

She smiles. "Y'know, if we both win our next fight, it'll be you and me, like old times."

I scoff. "Yeah, only difference is I'm gonna kill you this time."

She shakes her head and clicks her tongue. "As much as I'm rooting for you, if it comes to that, you're going down."

I narrow my eyes. Let's see if she can handle a little messing with. "Really? Whatcha gonna do? Send me into a void for eternity?"

"Ouch, Kitty-kat!" she giggles. "But you know I could never do that to you, you're too cute!" she says with a sweet smile.

Alright, this is where I get confused. If she really means it when she calls me her friend, does she mean it when she calls me that? Or is she just messing with me? And if she does mean it, does she mean I'm cute like a baby, or that I'm actually good-looking? Nah, there's no way, I'm overthinking it. Ugh, girls are so confusing. Especially this one.

I roll my eyes. "Am I gonna look cute when I blow you to bits?"

She leans in closer to me. "That's when you look the cutest," she says softly.

I feel my face get hot.

Holy shit, is she being for real? I could take it as a joke, but the way she's looking at me, I don't think it is. But c'mon, there's no shot she actually thinks I'm attractive. Glitch-girl is like, the prettiest girl ever. I'm sure her standards are higher than that. Still, her words make me feel all weird inside.

I feel my palms begin to sweat.

"Woah, Kitty-kat," she chuckles, "Did I strike a nerve or something? I've never seen you get embarrassed before. What's gotten into you?"

So she was joking, right? That's what that means? Fuck, this is exactly what I was trying to avoid! I'm second guessing myself, I've completely let my guard down! I'm letting her have some kind of power over me, this is exactly what she wants! She has that shitty-haired idiot completely fooled, she's totally evil! I need to get the hell out of here!

I stand up. "Get out of my way," I say through clenched teeth.

Her smile disappears. "Woah, what'd I say?"

"Get out of my way, Glitch-bitch!" The words escape my mouth before I even think about it, and they come out loud.

Everyone in the row in front of us turns around to look at us. Glitch-girl is just sitting there with an embarrassed look on her face. She silently moves her legs so I can get by, and I rush down the steps.

How could I have been so stupid?! That girl thinks she's better than me, so she's trying to take me down by messing with my head! She doesn't actually wanna be my friend, she doesn't really like me. She thinks that just because a pretty girl says I'm cute that I'm gonna melt in her hand and do whatever she wants! She can go fuck herself, her little tricks aren't gonna work on me. She might have Kirishima fooled into thinking that she's all innocent, but I know her true motives. She thinks I'm the biggest threat, so she's trying to wear me down from the inside! That's what it is.

I make my way to the bathroom and turn on the sink.

Don't let her get to you, Bakugo.

I splash water in my face.

She's just the same old, annoying little Glitch-girl, being her annoying self.

I stare at myself in the mirror.

You need to focus. It's time to win this thing.