chapter 99: hoodwinked

kirishima

   As soon as I open my eyes, I sit up in a cold sweat, panting as if I just had a nightmare.

Was that real?! No way, right?! But what are the odds of me having that dream after what Bakugo told me yesterday?!

   Panicking as I try to find answers to calm myself the heck down, I spring out of bed and head straight for the door. But when I open it, Bakugo is already standing there, seeming just as frantic.

And as soon as I see him, it hits me like a ton of bricks.

It was real! Why else would Bakugo be here at 3 in the morning?! The Kai I was talking to in my dream was really her!

Now that's blowing my mind in itself, but when I remember what she said not 2 minutes ago, all of my excitement turns shock in an instant.

   "She what?!" I exclaim.

   Bakugo shushes me as he walks past me into my dorm and shuts the door behind him. He turns around to face me. "Look," he says.

   "She's what?!" I scream, even louder.

   "Shut the fuck up," he says, in a harsh whisper.

   "She's a villain?!" I say, still freaking out, but trying to stay as quiet as he is.

   He sighs. "Was," he says, softly.

   My mind is awake now, and man, is it racing. My thoughts fly around my head at a million miles a minute as I try to understand what the heck is going on here.

   Kai... a villain?! How could I have never realized?! We hung out every day of the week! How did I miss this?!

   "I thought she was our friend!" I say, with my heart starting to hurt at the thought of being hoodwinked by who I thought was my best friend.

   Bakugo seems unfazed at the crisis I'm having here, and seems more annoyed than anything. "She is," he says, "And she always was."

   "How can you say that when she's been a freakin' villain all along?!"

   He sighs. "Look, it's fucked up. She did illegal things, but she was never a 'villain' until she got with her loser of a fucking boyfriend."

   "Who's her boyfriend?!"

   He bites his lower lip, then shakes his head.

My stomach starts to twist tighter and tighter as I try to imagine what the answer could be.

   "Who is it, man?!" I ask anxiously.

"Shigaraki," he says softly, like he didn't want me to hear.

   My eyes grow so wide I think they might pop out of my head. "What?!" I scream.

   Shigaraki?! As in, leader of the League of Villains?! That's not just some lowlife criminal, that's the worst of the worst!

   Bakugo smacks me upside the head. "Dude," he says, "Shut the hell up, seriously. No one else can know about this."

   "Why?! She's a villain, dude!" I say, in a scream-whisper once again. "We have to tell Aizawa!"

   He bonks me on the head with the side of his fist. "Fuck no we don't!" he shouts.

   "Hey, how come you can yell and I cant?"

   He rolls his eyes. "Shigaraki kidnapped her," he continues. "We have to help her."

My heart sinks, and my mind begins to split into two trains of thought.